Asus Webstorage - can I trust the backup feature?
Thread poster: Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 23, 2020

Hi, I just got lured to subscribe to Asus Webstorage. I knew it is not fast, but I thought it might be useful as a chip secondary backup system, independent from my manual system, at least for my most important folders. As I have started using it, I noticed that features are a bare minimum, that help links to a support website which is permanently down and the interface does not give much control on the backup status.

I wonder if anybody is using it and happy with it.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:30
Member (2008)
Italian to English
No, you can't trust it Dec 26, 2020

ASUS WebStorage abused to spy on users at the router level

https://tinyurl.com/yybgozle

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Uninstalled Dec 27, 2020

Thank you Tom. It looks pretty dangerous!

I have just seen your reply, uninstalled the program and started a full AV scan (2h to go). In the mean-time, I could not find any remedial additional action advised on the web. Now I am shutting off my internet connection and Tomorrow I will consider if I should restore my full backup copy on external USB. That one is certainly unaffected (unplugged), but I would lose a couple of weeks of important files.

[Edited at 2020-12-27 02:50
... See more
Thank you Tom. It looks pretty dangerous!

I have just seen your reply, uninstalled the program and started a full AV scan (2h to go). In the mean-time, I could not find any remedial additional action advised on the web. Now I am shutting off my internet connection and Tomorrow I will consider if I should restore my full backup copy on external USB. That one is certainly unaffected (unplugged), but I would lose a couple of weeks of important files.

[Edited at 2020-12-27 02:50 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Asus Webstorage - can I trust the backup feature?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »