Hong Kong
Local time: 14:04
Chinese to English
+ ...
Sep 24, 2018

There are two types of people who pay with check or money order:

1. Scammers
2. People you already know

There is no legitimate reason for a client met on ProZ to pay using check or money order, and the chance that an offer to do so is not a scam is essentially zero. There is no reason for this option to exist; if someone really insists on exposing themselves to this stuff, they can add it manually.

Guillermo González Cavazos
Kay-Viktor Stegemann

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:04
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Don't agree Sep 24, 2018

I can't agree, many of my Canadian clients pay by cheque and with mobile phone deposits it is as convenient as PayPal and less expensive.

Jessica Noyes
Jorge Payan
Katalin Horváth McClure
IrinaN

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 01:04
English to Russian
+ ...
Not quite Sep 24, 2018

Lincoln Hui wrote:

1. Scammers

There is no legitimate reason for a client met on ProZ to pay using check or money order, and the chance that an offer to do so is not a scam is essentially zero. There is no reason for this option to exist; if someone really insists on exposing themselves to this stuff, they can add it manually.

Checks are still widely used within the US, and it costs a postal stamp to the client and zero to the recipient. Depending on the length of your relationship with the bank, and a history of check payments from the same client, checks up to $10000.00 can be credited to the account on the same day. I can deposit a check of up to $5000.00 via Express Deposit from my Iphone, no need to run to the bank.

John Fossey
Jorge Payan
Katalin Horváth McClure

Sarah Lewis-Morgan
Sarah Lewis-Morgan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:04
Member (2014)
German to English
+ ...
Definitely local differences Sep 24, 2018

When I was in the UK cheques were accepted everywhere. Moving to Germany I found that nobody uses them. Here it is normal to use bank transfer, which was looked upon with deep suspicion in the UK by most people. So it does depend on where you are based.

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:04
Japanese to English
+ ...
Check and money order Sep 25, 2018

The only clients I allow to pay by check are US law firms.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
And... Sep 25, 2018

Lincoln Hui wrote:
1. Scammers

Don't forget Americans!

That said, receiving payment by cheque, money order or postal order internationally is always a much greater risk than locally, because of the amount of time it takes to verify the document, and because banks tend to pay out the money on the basis of trust (i.e. they trust you). A money order/postal order can't bounce like a cheque, but it can still be faked.

There was a time when Western Union had the same reputation (scammers etc).

mariealpilles
mariealpilles  Identity Verified
France
Member (2014)
English to French
+ ...
Payment methods Sep 25, 2018

Why should the whole world go along with American methods of payment? They use and overuse PayPal which in Europe have a very bad reputation and are acting like thieves, not letting you get your money out if they decide that it is too much, cheating you with their charges, etc. In many countries bank transfers are stille the safest way to get paid. On top of that if people want to pay you via PayPal, it would be just honest practice for them to pay all the charges so that you get the money owed ... See more
Why should the whole world go along with American methods of payment? They use and overuse PayPal which in Europe have a very bad reputation and are acting like thieves, not letting you get your money out if they decide that it is too much, cheating you with their charges, etc. In many countries bank transfers are stille the safest way to get paid. On top of that if people want to pay you via PayPal, it would be just honest practice for them to pay all the charges so that you get the money owed to you, and not a percentage less. Let everyone decide which method they accept according to the country they live in. For those who claim that bank transfers are costing them a lot of money, PayPal is costing the translator a lot of money and bank transfers in the SEPA zone for instance cost peanuts. So stop the lame excuses and pay what you owe the translator.Collapse

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 01:04
English to Russian
+ ...
You shouldn't Sep 25, 2018

mariealpilles wrote:

Why should the whole world go along with American methods of payment? .

You just shouldn't be excluding them:-).

I wouldn't agree on a check payment from France.

[Edited at 2018-09-25 11:49 GMT]

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:04
Serbian to English
+ ...
Nowadays a dying species in UK Sep 27, 2018

Sarah Lewis-Morgan wrote:

When I was in the UK cheques were accepted everywhere. Moving to Germany I found that nobody uses them. Here it is normal to use bank transfer, which was looked upon with deep suspicion in the UK by most people. So it does depend on where you are based.

I remember that time, but it's not like that today. I can't remember last few years ever seeing any mentions of personal cheques. Even business cheques seem to be out - they were anyway mainly used by businesses with no money in their accounts [would bounce more often than not] - payments are done today mostly by various types of bank transfer.

Except US businesses operating in UK - still addicted to cheques ...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Eliminate check and money order from "Payment methods accepted" options

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »