Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Mar 6, 2018

This morning I noticed this warning in my Safari on macOS High Sierra:

Screen Shot 2018-03-06 at 09.09.03

When I want to close this distracting message, I have to accept the conditions. I find this unacceptable. Please ad an option to close and reject.

Thank you!

Hans

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 02:24
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Hans Mar 6, 2018

Hans Lenting wrote:
When I want to close this distracting message, I have to accept the conditions.

I interpret the link "Accept and close" to mean "I understand this message (i.e. I accept that it is so) and I want to close it", not "I accept the terms and conditions of this message and I want to close it".

Nate Hill
Nate Hill
United States
English
+ ...
This is a mandatory message Mar 6, 2018

We apologize for the banner being difficult to understand. Safari 11 requires this type of confirmation, and the banner itself is embedded by the third party advertising partner we're using, Adroll.com. It is not possible to customize the messaging unfortunately.

Clicking on the underlined "here" just before "Accept and close" is the way to opt out of this.

Since it sounds like you've accepted the terms, you can remove the cookie by searching cookies in your brow
... See more
We apologize for the banner being difficult to understand. Safari 11 requires this type of confirmation, and the banner itself is embedded by the third party advertising partner we're using, Adroll.com. It is not possible to customize the messaging unfortunately.

Clicking on the underlined "here" just before "Accept and close" is the way to opt out of this.

Since it sounds like you've accepted the terms, you can remove the cookie by searching cookies in your browser's settings for adroll, and removing them. Then opt out as described above if you are shown that banner again.
Collapse

finnword1
finnword1
United States
Local time: 21:24
English to Finnish
+ ...
This board is supposed to be for linguists Mar 6, 2018

Merriam-Webster gives various definitions for the word "accept" but none of them means "understood".

www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/accept

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Ad blocker + JS blocker Mar 6, 2018

Hans, have you tried installing ad blocker and JS blocker extensions in Safari?

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Accept Mar 6, 2018

finnword1 wrote:
Merriam-Webster gives various definitions for the word "accept" but none of them means "understood".
www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/accept

The page you link to shows 5 meanings. The meaning I had in mind is meaning #3. It means that you accept something as inevitable or as the truth. Safari/Adroll gives the user information, and the user accepts that the information is correct.

There is no option "reject and continue" because that would be silly. Imagine that... an option labelled "I don't believe you, computer".

Every day we click buttons on our computers labelled "OK" (okay) and we don't complain that there isn't also a button "Not OK", because "OK" does not mean "I'm okay with this" (I approve of it, it makes me happy) but "I acknowledge what I'm seeing".

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Why not? Mar 6, 2018

Samuel Murray wrote:

There is no option "reject and continue" because that would be silly. Imagine that... an option labelled "I don't believe you, computer".

If it is possible to "opt-out" of tracking, as the message itself suggests, then there could very well be a "reject and continue" button, especially considering ad tracking is definitely NOT instrumental to the functioning of this site (or any other website), especially if you're a paying user (IMHO).

Problem is, if such a button was there (as it should be), most people would click that instead of "Accept and Close", which however would be bad for marketers. The way things are now, people have to stop what they are doing, click a link to an external website, read instructions on how to "opt-out" of tracking and follow them, and then go back to what they were doing before... Not exactly user-friendly... or better, consumer-friendly.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Had another look Mar 6, 2018

Mirko Mainardi wrote:
The way things are now, people have to stop what they are doing, click a link to an external website, read instructions on how to "opt-out" of tracking and follow them, and then go back to what they were doing before...

I've had another look at the message and now realise that the message might/does say something other than what I first thought. The message is poorly written and practically contradicts itself. It's also misleading because it talks about "opting out" when in fact it means "opting in" (the user is already out at this stage and does not need to perform additional actions to get out). But if I understand the message correctly, one can also opt not to opt in by simply reloading the page, since "This message only appears once". Perhaps a Safari user can tell us what happens when you just reload the page.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I don't want to be tracked

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »