Thread poster: Tom in London
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:56
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Oct 30, 2017

For some reason, although I've painstakingly worked through the list of forums, I am still seeing a large number of forum topics that don't interest me and that I don't want to see. Most of them are about CAT tools.

My suggestion:

Make it possible to mouse over a discussion topic to bring up a popup menu, offering the option of removing that topic from the user's personal list.

Or some other way to opt out of threads I don't want to see.

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
I only get what I want Oct 30, 2017

I'm not sure how you've set it up, Tom, but I only get what I want with the settings I show an example of below from www.proz.com/forum/categories/technical_forums-tech.html:

Capture

I am informed about new topics once, and only in the categories I have chosen.

If I want to follow a new topic, I activate email tracking in the topic (and deactivate it if I no longer want to follow it):

Capture2

[Edited at 2017-10-30 10:16 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry but... Oct 30, 2017

Sorry Thomas but here are my settings with all the CAT tool forums turned OFF as they have always been (my screen shot doesn't include the whole list):

Screen Shot

and despite that, here's what I see when I go to my forums (all the CAT tool threads are still appearing):

Screen Shot 1

[Edited at 2017-10-30 10:37 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
"My forums" Oct 30, 2017

Is your second image from the page www.proz.com/forum? If so, I see what you mean. I never use that page.

But yes, if that's the page you mean, it could be useful to have an option to filter it to show only the categories you're following, and perhaps a further option to narrow it down to the topics you're currently following.

The page isn't actually titled "My forums", so I suspect it may not have
... See more
Is your second image from the page www.proz.com/forum? If so, I see what you mean. I never use that page.

But yes, if that's the page you mean, it could be useful to have an option to filter it to show only the categories you're following, and perhaps a further option to narrow it down to the topics you're currently following.

The page isn't actually titled "My forums", so I suspect it may not have been intended for what you want, even though it would make a lot of sense.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:56
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Tom Oct 30, 2017

Tom in London wrote:
Here are my settings with all the CAT tool forums turned OFF as they have always been (my screen shot doesn't include the whole list)...
and despite that, here's what I see when I go to my forums (all the CAT tool threads are still appearing)...

You're looking at a page that shows recent posts from all English-language forums. You can't currently customise it.

What you want is a similar page, but customised so that it only shows posts from forums that you "subscribe" to. This has nothing to do with notifications.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
What I want Oct 30, 2017

Samuel Murray wrote:

What you want is a similar page, but customised so that it only shows posts from forums that you "subscribe" to....

Yes, I suppose that's another way of saying what I said in my original post.

I've seen others raising the same issue at various times in the past, but nothing has ever been done about it.

[Edited at 2017-10-30 12:14 GMT]

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Surely there should be somewhere that shows them all Oct 30, 2017

On your home page, haven't you got a customised listing coming up, Tom? I know I have. Mine does show those tool ones, but it doesn't show the interpreting forum etc. That's the listing I use most, although TBH I only really have time normally to look at the ones I get notified of. I think the one you did the screen shot of was the recent posts to any/all forums.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
no Oct 30, 2017

Sheila Wilson wrote:

On your home page, haven't you got a customised listing coming up, Tom?

No, there's nothing like that on my home page, and I can't imagine why there would be since if there were, visitors would see it.

I think the one you did the screen shot of was the recent posts to any/all forums.

I did 2 screen shots, of which the second one was recent posts to all the forums to which I am subscribed, but which also includes a whole lot of forums to which I am NOT subscribed (all the ones referring to CAT tools).

In general I find the Proz website utterly chaotic.

[Edited at 2017-10-30 13:56 GMT]

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Home vs profile Oct 30, 2017

Tom in London wrote:
Sheila Wilson wrote:
On your home page, haven't you got a customised listing coming up, Tom?

No, there's nothing like that on my home page, and I can't imagine why there would be since if there were, visitors would see it.

I'm not referring to your profile page, Tom. I'm referring to the page that comes up if you click on the little house icon on the top line, or indeed that comes up automatically when you go to www.proz.com if you're already logged on. That one should show customised lists of jobs, forums, KudoZ questions, etc.

I think the second screenshot was recent posts to all forums. That one isn't customised or indeed customisable.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Nope Oct 30, 2017

Sheila Wilson wrote:

I'm referring to the page that comes up if you click on the little house icon on the top line

Nope

This is what I see:

Screen Shot 2

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Aha Oct 30, 2017

On https://www.proz.com/dashboard/forum/?sp_forum_mode=homepage_forums you can define what you want to see on your home page:

Capture3

The navigation is rather confusing. If you navigate through Member activities – Forums and select a forum group to the right, you get the type of page I showed in my first post (where you can track forums), but on that page it doesn't say anything about displaying forums on the home page; you have to go to Forum settings to see that.

There is a bug too. To test it, I put a tick in one forum to show on my home page. When I navigated to my home page, I only saw that one forum. But when I returned to www.proz.com/dashboard/forum/?sp_forum_mode=homepage_forums, I could see that all the forums I were tracking by email had been reset, so I have to start all over again now.

This is a big mess. I'll submit a support request.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Click on the house Oct 30, 2017

Tom in London wrote:

Sheila Wilson wrote:

I'm referring to the page that comes up if you click on the little house icon on the top line

Nope

This is what I see:

Screen Shot 2

Click on the house, not in the menu. There is no link to the home page in the menu (bad navigation that isn't obvious).

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Totally confusing Oct 30, 2017

Thanks Thomas

I'll take a look later when I finish an urgent job I'm doing.

I must say, though, that this website is the opposite of "intuitive". Why should I need to ask colleagues where to find things, and why should we need to exchange screen shots? This is totally off-putting and time-consuming.

AND there are bugs.

Instead of introducing new "features" Proz ought to be cleaning up its act.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
No good Oct 30, 2017

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Click on the house, not in the menu. There is no link to the home page in the menu (bad navigation that isn't obvious).

If I just click on the house, and wait for about 3 seconds, all I get is the page of jobs. Like this:

Screen Shot 3

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Go to the bottom Oct 30, 2017

Tom in London wrote:

Sheila Wilson wrote:

If I just click on the house, and wait for about 3 seconds, all I get is the page of jobs. Like this:

Screen Shot 3

Go to the bottom of that page, which should be just www.proz.com. You should see "Recent topics in translator forums" there.

Yes the navigation is a shambles, even for a Windows user.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestion: option to de-activate forum topics that don't interest us

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »