Will Volny
Will Volny  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:12
Member (2018)
Czech to English
+ ...
Sep 19, 2018

It hasn't happened before today, but twice today, the email quotes/responses bounced back. So far, I'm still trying to figure out what happened, since other emails are sent and received fine today. Any insight will be welcome.

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 00:12
German to Turkish
+ ...
Is the e-mail address valid? Sep 19, 2018

If not, it may have been blocked (I haven't heard of such a thing though).

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:12
Danish to English
+ ...
Are there any error codes? Sep 19, 2018

In most cases the error codes you get back explain what's wrong (if you google them).

But email servers in general are becoming more demanding with respect to authenticating the sender, so if you're not using a mailer that has an SSL certificate and/or uses other recognised methods to authenticate the sender, then there is a certain risk of having emails bounced (or simply deleted).

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:12
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Reason? Sep 20, 2018

What was the reason for the bounce? The bounce message will usually say.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:12
English to Italian
"Reply to" address Sep 20, 2018

As Elif was saying, first thing I'd do is make sure the reply address is correct. It seems obvious, but sometimes that can pass unnoticed. I recently received an email through proz from an agency, I could see their email address in the From field, but when I clicked on Reply the address in the To field became something like "[email protected]" (*I guess that's a glitch/bug, together with the fact the email didn't show the usual header/footer added by proz with author's profile, IP, etc... See more
As Elif was saying, first thing I'd do is make sure the reply address is correct. It seems obvious, but sometimes that can pass unnoticed. I recently received an email through proz from an agency, I could see their email address in the From field, but when I clicked on Reply the address in the To field became something like "[email protected]" (*I guess that's a glitch/bug, together with the fact the email didn't show the usual header/footer added by proz with author's profile, IP, etc.).

Linked to the above, another obvious thing that might have caused this is replying to job notifications (i.e. the emails with "[ProZ.com jobs]" in their subject instead of "[ProZ.com mail]"). If you reply to those directly from your inbox the reply to address will be "[email protected]" and they'll get bounced back.

*Maybe this could be looked into by staff, at their pleasure...
Additional info: I asked the agency how they contacted me, and they said it was through "Lists".
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 22:12
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Happened to me the other day, but the client replied to my mail Sep 20, 2018

I received a mail, and sent a brief answer to say sorry, I was not available. The client actually replied, so my mail must have come through.

Several hours later, however, I received an error message as well.

I think it was on Tuesday 18th October, but I have deleted the mails.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bounced emails when responding to a job posting

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »