Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Job postings update: What can be improved about display of job postings?
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Please stop making jobs that are for members only look like non-members will be allowed to bid Jun 25, 2018

I know that Proz is now a website where only payers can be players.
For some reason, most jobs posted nowadays are only open to payers (aka members) . But there is often a teaser. It looks like this:

Posted: 25 Jun 2018 13:39
Membership: Non-members may quote after 12 hours
Quoting deadline: 25 Jun 2018 16:00

In other words, those who don't pay won't be allowed to play at all. Why not just say so? Only members can bid. Clear and to the point without
... See more
I know that Proz is now a website where only payers can be players.
For some reason, most jobs posted nowadays are only open to payers (aka members) . But there is often a teaser. It looks like this:

Posted: 25 Jun 2018 13:39
Membership: Non-members may quote after 12 hours
Quoting deadline: 25 Jun 2018 16:00

In other words, those who don't pay won't be allowed to play at all. Why not just say so? Only members can bid. Clear and to the point without teaser. It may sound less welcoming but it is the harsh reality after all. And it does send a clear message.
Collapse

Jennifer Levey

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Local time: 21:48
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
What is the sense of Jun 26, 2018

I see no sense in having a certain rate included by job poster, whether acceptable or not, and then the following words as in one job posted yesterday: 'we are ready to discuss the rates'. Should this be allowed? We do know that agencies, especially agencies from certain countries even in Europe, do tend to require a low rate but then to have this part added makes a mockery of translators and the translation industry. The translator/s chosen will be according to rate offered and accepted and the... See more
I see no sense in having a certain rate included by job poster, whether acceptable or not, and then the following words as in one job posted yesterday: 'we are ready to discuss the rates'. Should this be allowed? We do know that agencies, especially agencies from certain countries even in Europe, do tend to require a low rate but then to have this part added makes a mockery of translators and the translation industry. The translator/s chosen will be according to rate offered and accepted and the agency will not have divulged the rate it is willing to ultimately pay. Surely there can be a minimum rate at least just as there should be minimum requirements?Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:48
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Mails addressed to "ProZ.com Member <[email protected]> Jun 26, 2018

Pretty sure it's the way Giovanni mentioned, thanks Giovanni.
Henry I get quite a few mails addressed to "ProZ.com Member " that usually start "Dear Translator" or "Dear all" or something like that.

Imo these messages are from people sending a "potential" job offer to a lot of translators they're not really going to work with.

I think the sender searches for translators and checks the "Select all service providers on this page" check box.
After clicking on
... See more
Pretty sure it's the way Giovanni mentioned, thanks Giovanni.
Henry I get quite a few mails addressed to "ProZ.com Member " that usually start "Dear Translator" or "Dear all" or something like that.

Imo these messages are from people sending a "potential" job offer to a lot of translators they're not really going to work with.

I think the sender searches for translators and checks the "Select all service providers on this page" check box.
After clicking on the "Select all service providers on this page" check box you can select another page of translators and then another, and another, until I think you can send your message to up to 100 translators at a time.
After adding all the translators, I selected 3 pages of translators so just 51 out of 100 in this case because I don't really need that many translators for this job you get:

"Batch options
You have service providers selected from a previous search. If this is not desired you can clear your list.
Selected providers: 51 / 100 clear list"

There's a mail icon and if you click on it you get:

"Batch mail (Service providers: 51)
From: someone who doesn't really want to work with you @ disable this mailing list dot com
To: View service providers you have selected to email"

I would like an option to be able to "opt out" of these mass mails if possible.

I think I sent a support request in a while back and was told it wasn't possible to opt out of these mass mailing lists unless I disable all Proz messages which isn't something I want to do of course as a single client who really wants to work with me wouldn't be able to get in touch but if you're tweaking the system I would like to be able to disable this batch mode of including my mail in a mass mailing list, if possible.
Thanks

[Edited at 2018-06-26 07:28 GMT]
Collapse

Monica M.
Mirko Mainardi

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:48
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
This could be the core of turning the tranlstion market upside up again: NO POSTED RATES Jun 26, 2018

Josephine Cassar wrote:

We do know that agencies, especially agencies from certain countries even in Europe, do tend to require a low rate but then to have this part added makes a mockery of translators and the translation industry. The translator/s chosen will be according to rate offered and accepted and the agency will not have divulged the rate it is willing to ultimately pay.

Comparing translation portals, Proz is still top of the heap. IMHO the bottom of the heap is represented by a portal whose initials are TD. A few years ago, this latter translation portal was so crammed with grovelling rates, that they had to impose a minimum of EUR 4¢/word, which ever since appears on the subject of the e-mail sent to translators.

Proz has both the Community Rates page to tell everyone how much a translation SHOULD cost and a vetting system to squelch job offers non-compliant to its rules.

Why should a job poster be allowed to impose rates and payment terms upon translators?
This is unique to the translation market.

Let translators propose their rates by bidding, like any other kind of business having its very own price list. Prospects will be able to compare the cost/benefit of each bid, and select which one matches their needs, wishes, and resources.

My suggestion is that - as a house rule - any mention to rates, budget, etc in a job post on Proz should cause a jobs administrator to withhold it from publication until that is removed by the poster.

IMHO this could gradually bring the translation market back to normality. As Proz is the leader, it is in a position to set the example and trigger a positive change.

Sheila Wilson
Mirko Mainardi
Josephine Cassar
Christel Zipfel
Anais Koechlin
Jo Macdonald
Michele Fauble

ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Job listing page has been updated Jul 11, 2018

Please see this thread for more details: https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_job_systems/326828-updated_job_listings_page.html

Thank you

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:48
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Thank you for including the country of the job poster in the job notification emails Apr 7, 2019

Katalin Horváth McClure wrote:
Include country in the emails Jun 25, 2018

I think we have asked for this before. In the notification email that is sent out by the system when someone posts a job, please include the country of the poster. That way, if it is from one of those countries that I definitely do not do business with, I could ignore/delete the email right away, without having to go to the website, click on the job post and finding it there, or sometimes having to go a step further, to the Blue Board just to see the country of the company.
Katalin

I have noticed the country name is now in the emails - even though it took almost a year to implement, still - thank you!!!

[Edited at 2019-04-07 22:01 GMT]

Sasha Terehov

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Job postings update: What can be improved about display of job postings?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »