Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
How long did it take to get your first job via Proz and to get then frequent jobs?
Thread poster: Annalisa Panero
Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
Entertainment value Dec 20, 2017

Kevin Fulton wrote:

Sheila Wilson wrote:
Erm... If you're actually wanting to find jobs here then it might be worth turning on at least some of those notifications again. And it might be high time to change your user message (on your profile) too. That, along with the number of years of translation experience, may well be putting potential clients off .

I gave up on Proz as a job source long ago after losing a bid on a large job for which I had in-depth/scholarly knowledge, and for which I offered 1/3 of my usual rate, because I believed in the project. Despite my current user message, I still receive unsolicited job offers with rates I charged back in the early 1980s. Apart from terminological topics, I'm here mainly for the entertainment value.

Maybe it's high time Proz.com opened a YouTube channel with paid subscriptions. I'm sure the model would make them money to the point they'd cut 50% off translator subscription rates to the platform.

Marcella Marino
Marcella Marino  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:39
Member (2016)
English to Italian
+ ...
6-12 months Dec 21, 2017

I don't remember exactly how long did it take me to get my first job through Proz.com, but around 6-12 months. I have tried and now I am glad I found around 3 or 4 clients for whom I regularly translate now.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 06:39
SITE FOUNDER
Kevin and Nancy: If you really want to meet clients, try membership Dec 22, 2017

Kevin Fulton wrote:

I first registered with Proz in 2000.
The first few years after I registered I applied for jobs with no result. I stopped receiving notifications early on.

I have been here for a long time.
Nancy Muhammed wrote:

I still haven't gotten my first job yet, which makes me wonder ... Do I have to be a premium member to get hired? cause most translators I know say it does.

Anyone who wants to meet clients here should consider becoming a member (ie. paying the yearly fee). Frankly, the system is rigged. Members meet new clients at a much higher rate than non-members.

Fernando Maciel
Fernando Maciel  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:39
Member (2013)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It all depends on... Dec 22, 2017

I was talking to a friend this week about this subject...

He told me something very interesting... It depends how much time you spend fixing, organizing your profile.

It's interesting to make your profile more appealing to clients/viewers.

This friend (and many other( said that his mainly clients are from ProZ...

So, it's time to handle and create something that worth it.

(Including me)

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How long did it take to get your first job via Proz and to get then frequent jobs?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »