Thread poster: Luke Mersh
Luke Mersh
Luke Mersh  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:38
Spanish to English
Nov 12, 2015

Dear colleagues,

Am I able to use the availability calendar widget on my website?

many thanks

TechStyle
TechStyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Embedding your ProZ.com calendar Nov 12, 2015

Yes. At the simplest, you can either link to or embed via iframe the URL
http://www.proz.com/?sp=calendar&entity_id=1309255 (I've only put the link here, I don't think the forum itself allows iframes in posts for obvious reasons!)

You could get a bit fancier with filtering and tweaking the appearance easily enough if you want, with a bit of jQuery or PHP for example. (A more elegant solution would
... See more
Yes. At the simplest, you can either link to or embed via iframe the URL
http://www.proz.com/?sp=calendar&entity_id=1309255 (I've only put the link here, I don't think the forum itself allows iframes in posts for obvious reasons!)

You could get a bit fancier with filtering and tweaking the appearance easily enough if you want, with a bit of jQuery or PHP for example. (A more elegant solution would be nice, but that would require a bit of help from the ProZ team to achieve.)
Collapse

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
calendar Nov 12, 2015

HI James,
I cant see the link working???
It just takes me to my calendar, how can I put that on my own site?

regards

TechStyle
United Kingdom
Iframes Nov 12, 2015

If you edit the HTML of a page which will allow it, just put in a tag like < iframe src="(that url)">< /iframe> - that should give you a box containing the calendar you get from that link. (I had to put a space after < to avoid it upsetting the ProZ forum software.)

You can get more detail about iframes here, including how to set the height, width and style of the box the page loads i
... See more
If you edit the HTML of a page which will allow it, just put in a tag like < iframe src="(that url)">< /iframe> - that should give you a box containing the calendar you get from that link. (I had to put a space after < to avoid it upsetting the ProZ forum software.)

You can get more detail about iframes here, including how to set the height, width and style of the box the page loads in: http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_iframe.asp

(Not quite as elegant an embedding as you'd like; I have a few paying jobs in the queue at the moment, but I'll slot in building a more elegant WordPress widget for doing this later on, unless there's a better "official" ProZ option for it.)
Collapse

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:38
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Availabity calendar of Proz? Nov 12, 2015

Luke Mersh wrote:

Dear colleagues,

many thanks

Just wondering, don't you need permission of Proz? It is their calendar.

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:38
Spanish to English
+ ...
It's the same calendar Nov 13, 2015

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Luke Mersh wrote:

Dear colleagues,

many thanks

Just wondering, don't you need permission of Proz? It is their calendar.

You wouldn't really be taking it, you're just creating a little window on one site to show another. I've done similar things with my profile here, before settling on what I have now

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
calendar Nov 13, 2015

Thanks guys,
I was looking at the source code, but can not seem to find the code for the calendar.
regards

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
calendar Nov 13, 2015

James Sutherland wrote:

You can get more detail about iframes here, including how to set the height, width and style of the box the page loads in: http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_iframe.asp

(Not quite as elegant an embedding as you'd like; I have a few paying jobs in the queue at the moment, but I'll slot in building a more elegant WordPress widget for doing this later on, unless there's a better "official" ProZ option for it.)

Hi James,
I tried what you said, it partially worked but it was too small.
I am trying to make it completely visible without having to scroll.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:38
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Adjusting iframe window size Nov 13, 2015

Take a look at http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_iframe.asp under the heading "Iframe - Set Height and Width". You can set the size of the window and adjust it until the scroll bars disappear.

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
calendar Nov 13, 2015

@John

I did try that and it didnt work.
Will have to do some more adjustments and trials.

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
calendar Nov 13, 2015

I don't think I can change the size of the calendar when its set as a widget in wordpress, I may have to put it on a separate page.

http://www.lukemershtranslations.co.uk

here the widget width was set to 500px, but I can not see how I can widen it.
Maybe I have to adjust the widget size itself.
regards

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:38
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Wordpress Nov 13, 2015

In Wordpress it depends on your theme and whether it allows changing the size of the widget or column. You would need to go back to the theme's documentation. Taking a look at your site I can see you are using the right column, which is probably not going to be wide enough for the calendar. You might need to put in the page itself.

[Edited at 2015-11-13 17:31 GMT]

TechStyle
United Kingdom
Embeddable calendar Nov 15, 2015

Luke Mersh wrote:

I don't think I can change the size of the calendar when its set as a widget in wordpress, I may have to put it on a separate page.

http://www.lukemershtranslations.co.uk

here the widget width was set to 500px, but I can not see how I can widen it.
Maybe I have to adjust the widget size itself.
regards

The ProZ calendar itself wasn't really built to be embedding friendly - what you really need to do is run it through a page or so of PHP (or similar - PHP's one I teach regularly, and the one WordPress itself is built in) then you get something more compact.

Fortunately, I was feeling bored and/or helpful, and wrote one.

Quick demo here: http://us.deadnode.org/proz-avail/?w=1

The colours, font and text size can all be customised using your own CSS - indeed, embedded on your site, it will automatically inherit the font used for the rest of the page anyway. I'll post some instructions after a bit more polishing.

For the moment, that demo page (which I'm still developing, so don't be surprised if it stops working at times!) just uses a static copy of Luke's availability; once finished, it'll pull the live data from the ProZ server for whichever user is using it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using ProZ.com availability calendar as a widget on my website

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »