Luke Mersh
Luke Mersh  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:15
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
wordpress Nov 5, 2015

One last request...
with wordpress, how do I remove the /wordpress from my domain name, so when people type my domain name the website appears without the wordpress part of it?

many thanks again

TechStyle
TechStyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Moving WordPress sites Nov 5, 2015

Almost there, well done!

The URL is a combination of where you've put the files, and two WP settings on the Settings ... General page. You'll see two URLs there (one for WordPress, one for "Site"), both of which will currently have the "wordpress/" bit after your domain name.

Take out the "wordpress/" bit from both settings, save, then move all the files from that wordpress subdirectory into the parent. Your new site should now be happily ensconced in its new home, as t
... See more
Almost there, well done!

The URL is a combination of where you've put the files, and two WP settings on the Settings ... General page. You'll see two URLs there (one for WordPress, one for "Site"), both of which will currently have the "wordpress/" bit after your domain name.

Take out the "wordpress/" bit from both settings, save, then move all the files from that wordpress subdirectory into the parent. Your new site should now be happily ensconced in its new home, as the main website.

(If anything goes wrong, there are ways to fix that so let me know!)
Collapse

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
wordpress themes Nov 5, 2015

I seem not to be able to install theme James,
I am getting error:
"Downloading install package from http://downloads.wordpress.org/theme/freelancer.0.3.zip

Download failed. couldn't connect to host"

any ideas.
many thanks in advance

TechStyle
TechStyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
WordPress cannot connect to host Nov 5, 2015

That error sounds as if the server doesn't allow software running there to download from the Internet - you probably need to download it yourself (to your own machine), then upload it from there instead. (Use the "Upload plugin" button on the "Add new" page and feed it the ZIP file you downloaded.)

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
themes Nov 6, 2015

James Sutherland wrote:

That error sounds as if the server doesn't allow software running there to download from the Internet - you probably need to download it yourself (to your own machine), then upload it from there instead. (Use the "Upload plugin" button on the "Add new" page and feed it the ZIP file you downloaded.)

Many thanks ,
solved that too, did what you also suggested.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Seeking advice on installing WordPress on my site hosted by ProZ.com

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »