Wordpress: have you been able to install it?
Thread poster: lauradiel
lauradiel
lauradiel  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 17:03
Member (2009)
German to Italian
+ ...
Nov 5, 2014

I'm trying to install Wordpress in cPanel but when I open the installer page ( http://example.com/wp-admin/install.php) I get this error message:

Error establishing a database connection
This either means that the username and password information in your wp-config.php file is incorrect or we can't contact the database server at localhost. This could mean your host's database s
... See more
I'm trying to install Wordpress in cPanel but when I open the installer page ( http://example.com/wp-admin/install.php) I get this error message:

Error establishing a database connection
This either means that the username and password information in your wp-config.php file is incorrect or we can't contact the database server at localhost. This could mean your host's database server is down.

Are you sure you have the correct username and password?
Are you sure that you have typed the correct hostname?
Are you sure that the database server is running?
If you're unsure what these terms mean you should probably contact your host. If you still need help you can always visit the WordPress Support Forums.

Username and password are correct. As for the hostname, I have left "localhost".
Has someone experienced the same problem?
Collapse

Sarah McDowell
Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:03
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
Try manual installation Nov 5, 2014

I don't think Proz.com hosting is set up to install Wordpress in C-panel. You will have to do a manual installation following the instructions on wordpress.org

lauradiel
Australia
Member (2009)
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Manual installation Nov 6, 2014

Hi Sarah
that's what I have done. I have followed all the steps of the manual installation (http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress#Common_Installation_Problems). The problem is that I cannot run the installation scrip (last step).

Sarah McDowell
Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:03
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
Try asking on WordPress forums Nov 6, 2014

Try the support forums for WordPress. This is a translation forum and so we don't usually deal with technical questions. If I were you I would start again from the beginning. You may have made one error (even something as small as leaving a comma where there should not be one) in the installation process and this could throw the whole thing off.

lauradiel
Australia
Member (2009)
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's Proz.com hosting Nov 6, 2014

I would like to know if someone out there has managed to install it or if I'm just wasting my time. Other people may have encountered the same problem with Proz.com hosting.

lauradiel
Australia
Member (2009)
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Finally it's installed! Nov 6, 2014

I have no idea where the problem was. I just replaced the wp-config.php file with a new one

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordpress: have you been able to install it?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »