Helena Guimarães
Helena Guimarães  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:27
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Sep 6, 2014

Hi,

it's the second time I ask for help or instructions about this subject. I created a site from google sites and I would like to host it via ProZ. Alexandro told me to map the site but It allways leads to an error message.

I tried to create another site through ProZ but the effect is not the same, I can not word through the pages and edit them and I gave up trying; I like to edit the pages, prevew them, insert a translator tool, etc. I don't see how to do it here, be
... See more
Hi,

it's the second time I ask for help or instructions about this subject. I created a site from google sites and I would like to host it via ProZ. Alexandro told me to map the site but It allways leads to an error message.

I tried to create another site through ProZ but the effect is not the same, I can not word through the pages and edit them and I gave up trying; I like to edit the pages, prevew them, insert a translator tool, etc. I don't see how to do it here, before publishing it.

So I payed this hosting for a site I cannot host.

I could use some suggestions...

Thank you.
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Requested by poster
Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 18:27
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Use website copier Sep 7, 2014

Do you mean exporting a google site? You can use HTTrack to export the site. Then upload the HTML files manually to ProZ hosting. Please remember to adjust the link on every page to th... See more
Do you mean exporting a google site? You can use HTTrack to export the site. Then upload the HTML files manually to ProZ hosting. Please remember to adjust the link on every page to the new URL.
Personally, I suggest using a CMS and start from scratch. Well, not exactly from scratch, as you can copy the content. It's just easier to maintain and modify.
Collapse

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:27
Spanish to English
+ ...
Another option Sep 7, 2014

See if you can just point your Proz servers to the Google site. If I'm not mistaken, Proz hosting is run out of cpanel (which is what I use for my websites). It sounds scary, but it's really easy once you have the information that you need. Shoot me a message if you need any help ^_^

Alejandro Cavalitto
Alejandro Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 08:27
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Domain names and website hosting Sep 8, 2014

Hello Helena,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. First, I would like to point out that you have not paid for hosting, but for registering a domain name. A domain name is the unique name that identifies an Internet site. Domain names always have 2 or more parts, separated by dots. The part on the left is the most specific, and the part on the right is the most general. For example, this is a domain name: example.com.

Domains can be hosted on different websites. Th
... See more
Hello Helena,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. First, I would like to point out that you have not paid for hosting, but for registering a domain name. A domain name is the unique name that identifies an Internet site. Domain names always have 2 or more parts, separated by dots. The part on the left is the most specific, and the part on the right is the most general. For example, this is a domain name: example.com.

Domains can be hosted on different websites. This is defined by a domain's name servers. Since ProZ.com is your domain registrar, you can manage your domain's name servers by selecting the "Name Servers" option in your domain management interface. Please see http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/99/#manage for instructions.

Websites need to be hosted using a hosting service. As stated in my previous reply, at http://www.proz.com/post/2329373#2329373 , the ProZ.com hosting service and the Google Sites hosting services are not related in any way. If you wish to have your website hosted by Google Sites, while using your registered domain name, you have to follow the steps at https://support.google.com/sites/answer/99448?hl=en

When you registered your domain through ProZ.com, its name servers were automatically pointed at ProZ.com servers. You will have to transfer that domain before your website can be hosted at Google Sites. In order to transfer away a domain that you currently have hosted on ProZ.com, you'll have to initiate the transfer by requesting to do so with the hosting provider that you are moving to.

In the meantime, you can change the nameservers associated with your domain by going to http://www.proz.com/domain/manage.cgi?action=modify_nameservers . Make sure first that you are changing the nameservers for the correct domain, by clicking the link next to "Manage Another Domain". Remember you will have to unlock the domain in the manage.cgi before transferring it.

If you would prefer to host your website on ProZ.com, you would not have to transfer your domain, but you would not be able to create the website using the tools available at Google Sites. You can create and upload a website following the instructions at http://www.proz.com/?sp=host/getting_started#create

Hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any question. If you submit a support request, from http://www.proz.com/support?mode=ask&sp_sub_mode=ticket_submit , you can include specific information of what actions you have taken, which would be helpful towards reaching a solution.

Best regards,
Alejandro
Collapse

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:27
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
@Alejandro Sep 8, 2014

In the instructions on your site, I saw this: “The most common way to design a web site is to first create and test it on your local computer. A large number of software packages are available which are designed to make this process as easy as possible, for both beginners and experts. Many of these programs are available free of charge and some of the best are reviewed and rated at the Tucows and Download.com shareware web sites.”

What are the software packages called? I clicke
... See more
In the instructions on your site, I saw this: “The most common way to design a web site is to first create and test it on your local computer. A large number of software packages are available which are designed to make this process as easy as possible, for both beginners and experts. Many of these programs are available free of charge and some of the best are reviewed and rated at the Tucows and Download.com shareware web sites.”

What are the software packages called? I clicked in Tucows and Download.com and found too many types of software, and for a non-expert, it is hard to find the right one on their sites.
Collapse

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:27
Spanish to English
+ ...
@ jyuan_us Sep 8, 2014

I'm not familiar with any of the free programs for this kind of work (I use the Adobe Web and Design Suite), but you could also look at using an online tool to design your web page. I personally like Weebly.com. You just drag and drop the elements that you want and place them on the page. When you're done, you can download the entire site and upload it to your hosting provider (Filezilla is great for that).

Alejandro Cavalitto
Alejandro Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 08:27
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
@ jyuan_us Sep 9, 2014

I'm afraid I am not an expert on creating websites either. Therefore, I cannot offer good advice on what are the best tools to use to create a website. I can only point towards available resources.

I'm sure other site users who have experience with creating websites can offer advice instead, like Triston & Gaby have already done (thank you!).

I'm sorry I can't be of help with this. Please let me know if you need anything else.

Alejandro

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I payed for hosting and until now couldn't use it

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »