Thread poster: Natalia Ulla
Natalia Ulla
Natalia Ulla  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:51
English to Spanish
May 15, 2015

Hi,

For the last 2 months I have been ignoring Job Posts that indicated English to Esl because I assumed Esl stood for Spanish (Latin America). I am from Spain and today I looked up my position in the Translators Directory and I noticed I am down for Esl, so I think I got it wrong and ESL doesn´t mean Latin American Spanish.

But I am confused....what does the "l" stand for then? What is the difference between ES and ESL?

Thanks

Natalia (Spain)

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
ES versus ESL May 15, 2015

As far as I could figure out:

ES stands for 'Español' (Spanish) and ESL for 'English as a Second Language'.

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
ISO 639: 3-letter codes (esl/spa) May 15, 2015

Those three letter ISO codes are obsolete nowadays.

"ESL" stands for Spanish just like "ES" does. However, I guess everybody uses two letter codes now.

"ESL" is also English as a second language, but I am afraid, not in this context...

Maria Kopnitsky
Maria Kopnitsky  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
In the directory, ESL refers to Spanish May 15, 2015

Natalia Ulla wrote:

Hi,

For the last 2 months I have been ignoring Job Posts that indicated English to Esl because I assumed Esl stood for Spanish (Latin America). I am from Spain and today I looked up my position in the Translators Directory and I noticed I am down for Esl, so I think I got it wrong and ESL doesn´t mean Latin American Spanish.

But I am confused....what does the "l" stand for then? What is the difference between ES and ESL?

Thanks

Natalia (Spain)

Hello Natalia,

Note that there is currently no way to search the directory by language variant. If you see ESL within the URL of the directory search results, this refers to Spanish, without distinguishing a variant. As Merab points out, ESL is the three letter code used to denote Spanish throughout ProZ.com.

As for individual job posts, the language is defined according to the poster's preference. So, ESL may refer to Spanish, or specifically to Latin American Spanish, depending on how the poster chose to define the language within the job's title.

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best regards,

Maria

Natalia Ulla
Natalia Ulla  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
OK it's clear now thanks! May 15, 2015

Thank you so much everybody. I missed on some job offers but I am glad I asked and I know now. Thanks so much Maria for your prompt reply!
Natalia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Difference between ES and ESL (Spanish)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »