Security breach with team job postings (Staff: bug fixed)
Thread poster: Mike (de Oliveira) Brady
Mike (de Oliveira) Brady
Mike (de Oliveira) Brady  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Jan 5, 2018

I have just posted a job posting confidential to my team on Proz.com. When I posted this I was told it would go to 2 of the 4 team members. I'm investigating why postings do not go to all members.

However, I shortly after received a quote from someone who is not a team member, who clearly had access to the confidential information I had posted exclusively to my team.

The person who posted was kind enough to send me a screenshot of the listing that appeared in his job fe
... See more
I have just posted a job posting confidential to my team on Proz.com. When I posted this I was told it would go to 2 of the 4 team members. I'm investigating why postings do not go to all members.

However, I shortly after received a quote from someone who is not a team member, who clearly had access to the confidential information I had posted exclusively to my team.

The person who posted was kind enough to send me a screenshot of the listing that appeared in his job feed. This says it is a "Team Private" job posting, so why did it appear in his job feed and why was he able to view and quote on it?

Has anyone else using Proz.com team features experience such serious security breaches?

I am trying to get the job posting removed as closing it does not appear to be sufficient.
Collapse

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 01:49
SITE STAFF
Thanks for reporting Jan 5, 2018

Hello Mike,

Thank you for reporting this. My colleague Alejandro is looking into the issue and will be in touch shortly.

Jared

Adelina Phillips
Adelina Phillips
Portugal
Local time: 04:49
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Job Posting Jan 6, 2018

Hello, I can see the job posting in my job feeds too.
I hope you can get it sorted. Take care.
Kind Regards
Adelina Phillips

anitha gomathy
anitha gomathy  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:19
English to Malayalam
+ ...
I also see that Jan 6, 2018

Hi Mike,

I also see that job post as an outsourcing person. So, I just replied as casual just to let you know about it. May I know if it was visible for those people too. I think it is coming automatically. Kindly recheck your settings and change it and repost it if possible. I hope next time it won't be appearing in the common page.

Kind regards,

Anitha

Mike (de Oliveira) Brady
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Private team jobs can be viewed and quoted on by non-team members Jan 7, 2018

I posted a second job private to my team as a test. When submitting the form Proz.com states:

---
Team private job

You are posting a job private to the members of the "Accredited Portuguese -> English translators" team.

Only members of the team will be able to view and quote on the job. Further restrictions on who within the team may view and quote may be defined below.
---

So far I've had 6 quotes on the job posting from non-team m
... See more
I posted a second job private to my team as a test. When submitting the form Proz.com states:

---
Team private job

You are posting a job private to the members of the "Accredited Portuguese -> English translators" team.

Only members of the team will be able to view and quote on the job. Further restrictions on who within the team may view and quote may be defined below.
---

So far I've had 6 quotes on the job posting from non-team members and a couple of posts on this thread confirming the post has appeared in the general jobs feed.

Here is the post that you should not be able to see unless you are member of the team.
https://www.proz.com/job/1394882

Post here if you can see it.

It is set for Portuguese->English language so you may not see it in any case if that is not your language pair.
Collapse

Suzana Silva
Suzana Silva
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I also see the post Jan 8, 2018

Hello, as long as I know I'm not on the team, even though I also can see the job posting in the jobs feed, and when I hit the link I read the following on the top of the page:

"Team private" job posting
The outsourcer has chosen to make this a "team private" job posting, accessible only to members of the "Accredited Portuguese -> English translators" team, and possibly only to a subset of those team members. You can access it because you are a member of that team, and are on
... See more
Hello, as long as I know I'm not on the team, even though I also can see the job posting in the jobs feed, and when I hit the link I read the following on the top of the page:

"Team private" job posting
The outsourcer has chosen to make this a "team private" job posting, accessible only to members of the "Accredited Portuguese -> English translators" team, and possibly only to a subset of those team members. You can access it because you are a member of that team, and are on that list. (FAQ)

Maybe it appears to me because I'm a Portuguese->English translator

Regards,
Suzana Silva
Collapse

Jack Martin
Jack Martin  Identity Verified
Brazil
Portuguese to English
I can see it Jan 8, 2018

I too can see the job.. It is in my language pairing, but I don't believe I am part of this team

Alejandro Cavalitto
Alejandro Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
This bug has been fixed Jan 8, 2018

Hello,

Thanks everyone for reporting and testing this bug. The bug has been fixed by now. "Team private" job postings will only be visible to members of the specific team it is aimed at, throughout the site. I apologize for the inconvenience.

By the way, I have now removed the job posting you made to test this bug.

Please let me know if you have any question or need anything else.

Best regards,
Alejandro

Mike (de Oliveira) Brady
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks - any progress on other team feature bugs? Jan 11, 2018

Alejandro Cavalitto wrote:

Hello,

Thanks everyone for reporting and testing this bug. The bug has been fixed by now. "Team private" job postings will only be visible to members of the specific team it is aimed at, throughout the site. I apologize for the inconvenience.

By the way, I have now removed the job posting you made to test this bug.

Please let me know if you have any question or need anything else.

Best regards,
Alejandro

Thanks Alejandro.

I’ve made another job posting to the team and no non-team members have reported having seen it. I’m still not sure why notifications do not go to all team members.

The other bugs I have reported still seem to be there:

1. There is no link to upload files to the team. Has this function been removed?

2. I do not receive alerts when team members post to our private forum, despite setting to receive alerts.

Any updates appreciated.

Alejandro Cavalitto
Alejandro Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Progress so far Jan 12, 2018

Hello Mike,

Thank you for bringing this up. After fixing another bug, notifications for your last job posting have been sent out. Notifications will be sent out to team members for future job postings, provided that the job posting requirements matches the information on their profile. Their notification settings also determine if they are sent notifications or not. You can see more information on how it is determined who is sent a n
... See more
Hello Mike,

Thank you for bringing this up. After fixing another bug, notifications for your last job posting have been sent out. Notifications will be sent out to team members for future job postings, provided that the job posting requirements matches the information on their profile. Their notification settings also determine if they are sent notifications or not. You can see more information on how it is determined who is sent a notification for a job posting here: https://www.proz.com/faq/8530#8530

Site developers are looking into the issue with forum notifications. I will post here once a solution has been found.

As for the feature to upload files to translation teams, I see that the feature is no longer shown in the "Team workspace" tab. I will explore if it is possible to have it restored.

Best regards,
Alejandro
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Security breach with team job postings (Staff: bug fixed)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »