Flavia Renzelli
Flavia Renzelli  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:53
English to Italian
+ ...
Nov 4, 2020

Good morning,

I need your help on a new topic...at least for me.

A company asked me to work on the transcription of several webinars.

I would like to know if there is a standard rate for this kind of job or if you can suggest an adequate rate.
Moreover I've decided not to use any software for the automatic transcription of the webinar because I don't think they're very reliable.

Thank you for your help.

Flavia

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
... Nov 5, 2020

Nel tuo profilo indichi la trascrizione tra i servizi che già offri. Perché non applichi la tua tariffa abituale?

Messaggio modificato per aggiungere: Come mai hai scelto di inserire la tua richiesta nella sezione Post-editing & Machine Translation?

[Edited at 2020-11-05 06:53 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Flavia Nov 5, 2020

Flavia Renzelli wrote:
A company asked me to work on the transcription of several webinars. I would like to know if there is a standard rate for this kind of job...

All I can tell you is that you must remember that it takes 6-10 hours to transcribe one hour of audio, so your rate should reflect that. Some agencies offer an "hourly" rate for this type of work, but they usually mean audio hour, not actual hour. If an agency offers you $20 per hour for transcription, but it takes you 10 hours to transcribe one hour of audio, then you'll be paid $20 for ten hours' work. Just make sure you and the client understand what each of you really mean.

Flavia Renzelli
Barbara Carrara

Flavia Renzelli
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Barbara Carrara Nov 5, 2020

Ciao Barbara,

non applico la tariffa abituale perché di solito le trascrizioni che faccio sono da file audio/CD e non da video con 30 e più persone collegate, quindi immagino che la difficoltà nell'ascolto dell'audio possa essere maggiormente disturbata.

Ho inserito qui il mio post perché mi chiedevano anche un preventivo in caso di utilizzo di un software per la realizzazione automatica della trascrizione con successivo post-editing...ma ho dimenticato di in
... See more
Ciao Barbara,

non applico la tariffa abituale perché di solito le trascrizioni che faccio sono da file audio/CD e non da video con 30 e più persone collegate, quindi immagino che la difficoltà nell'ascolto dell'audio possa essere maggiormente disturbata.

Ho inserito qui il mio post perché mi chiedevano anche un preventivo in caso di utilizzo di un software per la realizzazione automatica della trascrizione con successivo post-editing...ma ho dimenticato di inserire questa parte

Sorry
Collapse

Barbara Carrara

Flavia Renzelli
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Samuel you're right! Nov 5, 2020

@Samuel

I think you're right, this is the main point. There is a lot of work to do and the hourly cost must reflect all the time we actually spend on the transcription.
I will definitely think about this aspect.

Thank you so much

Flavia

freezone (X)
freezone (X)
United Arab Emirates
Transcription Webinar Nov 5, 2020

I am not sure but a friend charges $10 per audio.

Blandina Broesicke
Blandina Broesicke  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Chinese to German
+ ...
Get a sample Nov 6, 2020

Perhaps you can get a sample of the work. You can then roughly measure the time you need for transcribing and find an adequate hourly rate (working hour).

Barbara Carrara

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Flavia2 Nov 6, 2020

Thanks for the updates, Flavia.

I agree with Blandina, but rather than a sample, I would suggest you to acquire the full video files to evaluate them in their entirety. Otherwise, I have a feeling that the fee that your potential client is prepared to offer you may be extremely low for webinars with 30+ participants (info provided in Flavia's post in Italian).
And with transcriptions, unless you examine the audio/video files closely and quote accordingly, you may end up worki
... See more
Thanks for the updates, Flavia.

I agree with Blandina, but rather than a sample, I would suggest you to acquire the full video files to evaluate them in their entirety. Otherwise, I have a feeling that the fee that your potential client is prepared to offer you may be extremely low for webinars with 30+ participants (info provided in Flavia's post in Italian).
And with transcriptions, unless you examine the audio/video files closely and quote accordingly, you may end up working for little or no profit, as Samuel has already pointed out.
Personally, I would steer clear of the post-editing offer, as you never know what sort of output you may have to deal with, risking again to work long hours for peanuts.
Good luck!
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

webinar transcription rates

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »