Aline Brito
Aline Brito  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:51
Member (2020)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
. Oct 20, 2020

For four years I worked on a continuous project that was truly very fun. It came a time, however, when the rate they offered became too low for me, so I stopped working for them last January. I miss doing the work sometimes, but I don't regret my decision.
I enjoy doing what I do, but I'm not sure I'd say I have fun working, and that is not necessarily a bad thing.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:51
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
The one I'm working on now Oct 21, 2020

I'm considering "fun" in the sense of enjoying my work. This document is well written and pretty straightforward, but I'm still coming up with turns of phrase that give it more style. I enjoy that part a lot.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
peter jackson

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
You nailed it there, Muriel Oct 21, 2020

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

I'm considering "fun" in the sense of enjoying my work. This document is well written and pretty straightforward, but I'm still coming up with turns of phrase that give it more style. I enjoy that part a lot.

Yep, that’s exactly how I get my kicks. No matter how dull the subject, we can always enjoy playing with the language.

Although if I’m honest I would still go back to being Kate Moss’s personal dresser if she cancelled that injunction.

P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)
writeaway

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:51
German to English
+ ...
"fun" Oct 21, 2020

I don't look for fun when I'm translating. It's a job for earning my living which I do well. I have had jobs that were fascinating and thus fun, but also time-consuming, which gave me less time to do what I want to do. For example, I like playing and learning music and I'd rather be doing that as my fun activity. So I may actually prefer non-fun jobs, if that makes sense.

Liena Vijupe

Vi Pukite
Vi Pukite  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:51
Latvian to English
+ ...
Fun! Oct 21, 2020

Fun is translating ambiguities. I recently had an otherwise well-written contract with one ambiguous clause. It was quite challenging, interesting and, yes, fun to convey the ambiguity in the same way in the target language. 😀

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Kristian Sliwa
expressisverbis

Ana Vozone
Ana Vozone  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:51
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Practically every day Oct 22, 2020

I translate (practically on a daily basis) for a videogame company. The texts are always fun and creative, so I feel very fortunate. These texts go very well with the other type of texts I translate regularly (in the financial area) which are not at all fun to translate, but usually interesting in some sort of way ...

Aline Brito

polskiexpert
polskiexpert
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:51
Member (2010)
Polish to English
+ ...
How to call ducks? haha Oct 22, 2020

I am having to translate how to 'call ducks' in English (example: cats are called 'puss! puss!')
In Polish, it's easy - [taś, taś!] but in English... I have to use this:

'an expression used to call domestic ducks for feeding'

This made me laugh!

Kristian Sliwa
Kristian Sliwa  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
Work should be fun Oct 22, 2020

I am happy to see that most of us enjoy what we are doing. I'm glad to be a part of this community of hard working self-determined people. Stay strong.
Cheers.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis

Ikram Mahyuddin
Ikram Mahyuddin  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 22:51
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Many of them Oct 23, 2020

I think many of my translation jobs are fun or enjoyable, at least contain fun since I like translating.

Tom in London
Christopher Schröder

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Fun: work vs play Oct 23, 2020

When you try to define what work is, it seems there is much overlap with play.

Play can be as fulfilling as work. The only thing that really sets the latter apart is the fact you are getting paid for it.

So work is not the be-all and end-all "they" make it out to be.

But getting paid can be fun, too.

For every "follow your passion" advice out there, there is a book like "So Good They Can’t Ignore You". In a nutshell, "don’t follow your pass
... See more
When you try to define what work is, it seems there is much overlap with play.

Play can be as fulfilling as work. The only thing that really sets the latter apart is the fact you are getting paid for it.

So work is not the be-all and end-all "they" make it out to be.

But getting paid can be fun, too.

For every "follow your passion" advice out there, there is a book like "So Good They Can’t Ignore You". In a nutshell, "don’t follow your passion, let your passion follow you".

And for good measure, here's a comparison seen in "Your Money or Your Life":

[Edited at 2020-10-23 09:15 GMT]
Collapse

Christopher Schröder

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:51
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Several years ago Oct 23, 2020

It was 2013 I translated a very nice text (about 20.000 words) over cats and dogs beahaviour I really enjoyed it

Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
5 years ago Oct 23, 2020

For a video documentary of a musician.
I learned a lot about the accordeon and watched a lot of videos on YouTube for research purposes.

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
... Oct 23, 2020

No matter what the job actually consists of, on any given day

hours 1–2 = fun
hours 3–4 = tolerable
hours 5–6 = barely tolerable
hours 7–8 = this sucks
hours 9+ = f***ing hell, where did my life go wrong?

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Christopher Schröder
Kaisa I
Kay Denney
Christine Andersen
Jocelyne Cuenin
Daryo

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Always Oct 23, 2020

Since I mostly do entertainment translations, I can always have the flexibility in how I use my vocabularies. Sometimes I play around with words to give my personal touch.

Here's an example:
In a movie, the character rejected a suggestion from another person and said "That path is no longer open to us". Path in Indonesian means jalan. But, after the character said that line, someone knocked the door and entered the room. So instead, I translated
... See more
Since I mostly do entertainment translations, I can always have the flexibility in how I use my vocabularies. Sometimes I play around with words to give my personal touch.

Here's an example:
In a movie, the character rejected a suggestion from another person and said "That path is no longer open to us". Path in Indonesian means jalan. But, after the character said that line, someone knocked the door and entered the room. So instead, I translated path as pintu, which in English means door. It still conveys the same meaning, too. Then I giggled for being naughty.

I don't know if my wordplay passed through since translations get vetted by the editor. It may or may not make it in the final product. But still, it was a good time.

Felipe Lacerda wrote:

Johnny Depp coming at you with a smartphone

I'd watch that.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:51
Spanish to English
+ ...
Intersting = fun Oct 23, 2020

Even though I may not crack a smile, if the source document is interesting, then the job is fun.

My most recent interesting project was one that required translating parts of a newsletter written (albeit in Spanish) by indigenous rural Peruvians in the 1930s. It gave me a fascinating new perspective on Peru.

Gibril Koroma

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: The last job I had that I would consider "fun" is/was:

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »