Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 18:14
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
One, even with Trados Jul 3, 2020

I sometimes print out my source text, if I need to see the layout. I can't make notes in pencil on the screen... More often, I make my pencil notes on the back of some piece of paper I have used previously. I save everything that is not printed on both sides.

Very occasionally, if the source is a large PDF with a lot of graphics or otherwise unsuitable for printing in black and white (as I only have a laser printer), I set up my laptop with the source beside the desktop I am working
... See more
I sometimes print out my source text, if I need to see the layout. I can't make notes in pencil on the screen... More often, I make my pencil notes on the back of some piece of paper I have used previously. I save everything that is not printed on both sides.

Very occasionally, if the source is a large PDF with a lot of graphics or otherwise unsuitable for printing in black and white (as I only have a laser printer), I set up my laptop with the source beside the desktop I am working on.
Collapse

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 11:14
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
1 Jul 3, 2020

1 computer monitor with good resolution is enough for the translation field.

I think it's very snob the use of 2 or more computermonitors, unless we work in:
- large facilities as university campus or factories to monitor uusual activities in a wall full of screens to detect potential security threats
- graphic design

Tom in London
P.L.F. Persio

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:14
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Two (I think) Jul 4, 2020

I have one ultra-wide monitor. I thought it would solve my problems, but for some reason I still can't see two full pages side by side without reducing them to point that the type is too small to read. My previous monitor was much smaller and I did just as well, if not better. So I think a separate monitor would be better - for research, following email and my other responsibilities, and possibly even for visualizing the source text.

neilmac

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:14
Member (2008)
Italian to English
ideal number Jul 4, 2020

The ideal number of computer monitors for translation work is exactly 237.83.

P.L.F. Persio

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 01:14
Chinese to English
+ ...
42 Jul 4, 2020

I'm just saying, if one wants to provide a spoof answer, at least provide the correct one.

I personally don't have any external monitors, but I do have my Surface Pro off to the side of my laptop, and it's always on YouTube.

P.L.F. Persio

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Two Jul 4, 2020

Although I usually only work with one screen, sometimes it is handy to have a second one. For example, if I outsource a revision/proofreading to a colleague, when I get it back, I usually have their version on one screen and my own on another, and make adjustments to my own draft based on theirs.

And - this situation just cropped up right now - I'm translating a list of terms and have found an official list online containing most of them, so I'm going to set up my laptop to the left
... See more
Although I usually only work with one screen, sometimes it is handy to have a second one. For example, if I outsource a revision/proofreading to a colleague, when I get it back, I usually have their version on one screen and my own on another, and make adjustments to my own draft based on theirs.

And - this situation just cropped up right now - I'm translating a list of terms and have found an official list online containing most of them, so I'm going to set up my laptop to the left of my main screen so that I can check the list against my translations without having to switch between the two on the same screen, or using a split screen option.
Collapse

Christine Andersen

James Plastow
James Plastow  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:14
Member (2020)
Japanese to English
vertical and horizontal Jul 4, 2020

One monitor in normal orientation and one one monitor in vertical orientation is a nice combination - vertical lets you see a full A4 page very clearly, or a large number of Trados lines.

Ayumi Anraku

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:14
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
One Jul 4, 2020

If you think your screen is small, the best solution is to buy a larger (wider) one, not another one. There is no doubt a superwide screen is a lot better than two monitors. I tried both, and since I got an ultrawide, I'd never go back to two monitors. Only one monitor, no extra input terminals required, no extra configs required, no extra power required, everything side by side in the same plane, and the most important, a lot less side movement with your head/eyes.
I think those who use t
... See more
If you think your screen is small, the best solution is to buy a larger (wider) one, not another one. There is no doubt a superwide screen is a lot better than two monitors. I tried both, and since I got an ultrawide, I'd never go back to two monitors. Only one monitor, no extra input terminals required, no extra configs required, no extra power required, everything side by side in the same plane, and the most important, a lot less side movement with your head/eyes.
I think those who use two monitors have not tried an ultrawide yet (?).
Collapse

Edwin den Boer

Barbara Micheletto
Barbara Micheletto
Italy
Member (2005)
Russian to Italian
+ ...
1 wide monitor + tablet on the side Jul 4, 2020

It works for me and it takes very little space on my desk! I usually upload the original file in Drive and I open it on my tablet (which is connect via wi-fi), keeping it on the side (but I admit that I always print a copy on paper too, because I am too afraid of missing something if I don't read the text from a hard copy). A big part of my work consists in translating personal documents with stamps and tiny print and on the tablet I can easily zoom out such elements to read them better; I find ... See more
It works for me and it takes very little space on my desk! I usually upload the original file in Drive and I open it on my tablet (which is connect via wi-fi), keeping it on the side (but I admit that I always print a copy on paper too, because I am too afraid of missing something if I don't read the text from a hard copy). A big part of my work consists in translating personal documents with stamps and tiny print and on the tablet I can easily zoom out such elements to read them better; I find that the resolution is better than on my computer monitor. You can double your PC monitor on a tablet, or even on a smartphone, using the application Spacedesk; unfortunately, my tablet is too old and I wasn't able to install this application on it... I plan to buy a new tablet in the nearest future (with a keyboard).Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: The ideal number of computer monitors for translation work is:

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »