Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: You accept a new client's job, and then find they have poor feedback from previous translators. You:
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:33
Member (2004)
English to French
Something similar happened to me once May 15, 2018

At the beginning of my career, I accepted a job from an agency (that have been since banned from Proz) only to find out, once my job was done, from another site similar to Proz that the agency was horrible and abusive to its translators and failed to pay them. I wrote to the owner, saying that I have been informed of his practices, that he and I had a nice professional relationship, and that I hoped I had nothing to be scared of. Well, the s*** hit the fan. I was subjected to abuse and threats. ... See more
At the beginning of my career, I accepted a job from an agency (that have been since banned from Proz) only to find out, once my job was done, from another site similar to Proz that the agency was horrible and abusive to its translators and failed to pay them. I wrote to the owner, saying that I have been informed of his practices, that he and I had a nice professional relationship, and that I hoped I had nothing to be scared of. Well, the s*** hit the fan. I was subjected to abuse and threats. He said I had to give him the best grade on the Blue Board and find 10 other translators to back my claim, and then he would pay me. I said I would rate him in due time (meaning when I got my cheque and it cleared), then I gave him the worse possible grade with an explanation. The proverbial s*** hitting the fan became a s*** storm. He called home one day, but my ex answered and told him to contact our lawyer (he was bluffing, we didn't have one). He was banned shortly afterwards and I never heard from him again. Good riddance!Collapse

Gibril Koroma
Gibril Koroma  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:33
French to English
+ ...
Will do it anyway May 15, 2018

Once I have accepted, I will go ahead and do it. Never had a bad client though. And not praying for one!

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:33
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other May 15, 2018

I don't accept a job from an unknown client before checking BB, colleagues, Payment Practices, and the like.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: You accept a new client's job, and then find they have poor feedback from previous translators. You:

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »