Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you consider the country you are currently living as your home?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
NOT AT ALL Apr 17, 2018

I am victim of racism.

I left everything for Jacques and he is too proud to be faithful and love me.

He says "My Ritu" but I do not even get some words of love.

I have been living without food and water.

People have hurt me a lot. I am a victim.

How can it be my home?

I will return to my home away from this racist country called FRANCE.

Jennifer Levey
Jennifer Levey  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 20:22
Spanish to English
+ ...
@Ritu Apr 17, 2018

Your brief – but poignant – account of your experience away from your home country should be a reminder to all of us that many of those here on Proz are not living the idyllic life of an expat based in a coral island in the sun.

We all have our tales to tell – and many of them are tinged with sorrow - or worse.

Courage, Ritu, que la force soit avec toi dans l’adversité.

RL

Matthew Guay
Matthew Guay
Japan
Japanese to English
+ ...
Life’s too short for only one home. Apr 17, 2018

I feel I’ve had a few homes over the years and at age 40, I still hope to have one or two more, though mortgages complicate things. If I have to boil it down to only one home I’d have to say planet earth.

Paulinho Fonseca
Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:22
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Not at all. Apr 18, 2018

I lived abroad for many years, in the UK (London and Edinburgh), and came back to be with my mother, who is older now. I have been working as a translator and a carer. It's been a great time full of joy with her.
But for the future, I have no plans to stay and will go back to the UK or another country. Brazil has long lost its direction regarding education, health, safety, respect, principles, you name it.

That is an interesting discussion....
See more
I lived abroad for many years, in the UK (London and Edinburgh), and came back to be with my mother, who is older now. I have been working as a translator and a carer. It's been a great time full of joy with her.
But for the future, I have no plans to stay and will go back to the UK or another country. Brazil has long lost its direction regarding education, health, safety, respect, principles, you name it.

That is an interesting discussion.

[Edited at 2018-04-18 01:34 GMT]
Collapse

Martyna Matyszczyk
Martyna Matyszczyk
Poland
Local time: 00:22
English to Polish
+ ...
Generally yes, but... Apr 18, 2018

as one of my wise university friends once said - he is first the citizen of our hometown and only then the citizen of our country. I find it to be more and more true every day.

Bin Tiede (X)
Bin Tiede (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Chinese
+ ...
Strangely enough, Apr 18, 2018

but for me home is where my parents live.

Luximar Arenas Petty
Luximar Arenas Petty  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
I don't think so Apr 18, 2018

I wish to call this country home, but after ten years it’s hard for me to articulate it. It’s the home of my daughter and husband, who were both born here. I might just feel that I don’t really belong or perhaps that I am not fully accepted. Venezuela will always be my home on earth no matter what.

Adam Warren
Adam Warren  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
French to English
Rome n'est plus dans Rome Apr 29, 2018

It isn't that I regard my country of residence as home but rather that my home country has changed so much that I no longer feel at home there. Obviously, I feel at home beside my spouse.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you consider the country you are currently living as your home?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »