Recording conversations with employer - legal or not in Poland?
Thread poster: kd42
kd42
kd42
Estonia
Local time: 10:10
English to Russian
Feb 23, 2019

Dear colleagues, I apologize for writing in English, I don’t know Polish well enough. Please write in English or Polish.
I am asking on behalf of another person, who worked in Poland as interpreter and translator EN-PL, for a local business, interpreting at meetings and translating the minutes. The agreement specified the working hours and payment, but soon it became evident that it was necessary to work much more. The translator asked the person who hired him to pay for the extra work,
... See more
Dear colleagues, I apologize for writing in English, I don’t know Polish well enough. Please write in English or Polish.
I am asking on behalf of another person, who worked in Poland as interpreter and translator EN-PL, for a local business, interpreting at meetings and translating the minutes. The agreement specified the working hours and payment, but soon it became evident that it was necessary to work much more. The translator asked the person who hired him to pay for the extra work, and was promised that it would be done. He asked for an addendum to his contract and was told that that was not necessary, that nobody was going to cheat, he was not convinced, so, to have some proof, he started discussing his extra work with the boss on a daily basis, asking for payment, stating the amount, and always got promises he would be paid. He recorded these exchanges on his telephone.
As you might have guessed, he was not paid for overtime.
Question: is it illegal or not to make such recordings in Poland?
P.S. I am writing on his behalf because he is afraid what he did was illegal.
Thank you.
Collapse

kd42
kd42
Estonia
Local time: 10:10
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Wielkie dzięki, koledzy. Mar 10, 2019

Wielkie dzięki, koledzy.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Monika Jakacka Márquez[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Recording conversations with employer - legal or not in Poland?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »