Nina Halperin
Nina Halperin  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 01:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 25, 2020

Hello,

I seem to have more trouble creating "quick-fix segmentation rules" to merge segments than to split them, for some odd reason. OmegaT has created the following two segments that should be just one (also, talk about tag soup!):

Health[t0/]/[t1/]Developmenta[t2/]l:[t3/] [t4/]On August[t5/] 20[t6/], 2019[t7/],[t8/] [t9/]

Steve's parents[t10/], [t11/]Mr. and Mrs. Douglas completed an updated health and developmental questionnaire.

I created
... See more
Hello,

I seem to have more trouble creating "quick-fix segmentation rules" to merge segments than to split them, for some odd reason. OmegaT has created the following two segments that should be just one (also, talk about tag soup!):

Health[t0/]/[t1/]Developmenta[t2/]l:[t3/] [t4/]On August[t5/] 20[t6/], 2019[t7/],[t8/] [t9/]

Steve's parents[t10/], [t11/]Mr. and Mrs. Douglas completed an updated health and developmental questionnaire.

I created the following "quick-fix rule" under "Properties" and then "Segmentation":
Pattern before: "[t9/]"
Pattern after: " Steve's" (with a space before the word "Steve's")
Break/exception *not* checked

This did not work. There are no hidden section breaks in this case (as this was a problem that I brought up in another example under a different forum). Am I formatting the segmentation rule incorrectly? Thanks for any tips!

[Edited at 2020-07-25 01:49 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:30
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Nina Jul 25, 2020

Nina Halperin wrote:
I created the following "quick-fix rule" under "Properties" and then "Segmentation"...

I can't really help, except to say that (a) I don't think you can put tags in the segmentation rules and (b) under normal circumstances, the text you mention should not have been split into two segments, so there must be something that causes the split. If you want, you can send me the source file to look at (via e-mail).

Nina Halperin
Peru
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tags shouldn't be a problem Jul 25, 2020

Hi Samuel, the tags should not be a problem. In this tutorial, the guy puts a tag in the segmentation rules: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHT9aHZciVU. While the tutorial is for splitting and not merging segments, I don't see why you could put tags in one and not the other.

Thank you so much, that is a lovely offer! I will message you.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:30
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Nina Jul 27, 2020

Nina Halperin wrote:
I created the following "quick-fix rule" under "Properties" and then "Segmentation":
Pattern before: "[t9/]"
Pattern after: " Steve's" (with a space before the word "Steve's")
Break/exception *not* checked

Why do you put a space before "Steve's"? Is there a space after [t9/] in the editor in OmegaT?

Nina Halperin
Peru
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Samuel Jul 27, 2020

There is no space after [t9/], but in this video about merging segments in OmegaT, the guy says you need to put in a space: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYlHh11i664. Perhaps it is so that there is a space between the word at the end of the first segment and the word at beginning of the second segment? Even if I take out the space in the segmentation rule I added, the segments still do not ... See more
There is no space after [t9/], but in this video about merging segments in OmegaT, the guy says you need to put in a space: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYlHh11i664. Perhaps it is so that there is a space between the word at the end of the first segment and the word at beginning of the second segment? Even if I take out the space in the segmentation rule I added, the segments still do not merge in OmegaT.

[Edited at 2020-07-27 19:20 GMT]
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Merging segments using quick-fix segmentation rules

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »