Thaís Campos
Thaís Campos
Brazil
Local time: 06:59
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jul 8, 2020

Hello!

I have here a 400 pages document that I translated before using OmegaT. Now, the client sends me an updated version to translate. Thankfully I already have almost of it in my memories.

Is there a way to automatically apply all 100% MT matches without having to go through every segment one by one? This way I can focus only on new content.

Thanks for your help!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:59
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Thais Jul 9, 2020

Thaís Campos wrote:
Is there a way to automatically apply all 100% MT matches without having to go through every segment one by one? This way I can focus only on new content.

In the previous job, you would have pressed Ctrl+D to create the final files. This automatically creates three TMX files in the project folder. Since the new job entails an updated version of the old file, I suggest you use the one named [projectname]-omegat.tmx.

So, create a new project, put the new source file in the /source/ folder, and then copy this TMX file into the /tm/auto/ folder, and hit F5.

(Alternatively, if you still have the old project folder intact, simply remove the old version of the source file from the /souirce/ folder and replace it with the new version of the source file, and press F5.)

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:59
English to Czech
Reuse Translation Memories Jul 9, 2020

Thaís Campos wrote:

...before using OmegaT...

... in my memories... (in your head: you can only dictate it)

Is there a way to automatically apply all 100% MT matches without having to go through every segment one by one?

TM matches are not MT matches; we use MT if we have no TM match or suggestion from MT is better than TM.

Solution:

1. Add the updated version to source folder of the OLD project. Or,

2. Create a new project and reuse "project_save.tmx" from OLD project. Put it into subfolder "tm/auto/"

Read a manual

https://omegat.sourceforge.io/manual-standard/en/howtos.html#howto.reusetm

3. Reuse Translation Memories

Milan

PS: Now I see, Samuel was faster.

[Edited at 2020-07-09 06:08 GMT]

Thaís Campos
Thaís Campos
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 9, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

Thaís Campos wrote:

In the previous job, you would have pressed Ctrl+D to create the final files. This automatically creates three TMX files in the project folder. Since the new job entails an updated version of the old file, I suggest you use the one named [projectname]-omegat.tmx.

So, create a new project, put the new source file in the /source/ folder, and then copy this TMX file into the /tm/auto/ folder, and hit F5.

(Alternatively, if you still have the old project folder intact, simply remove the old version of the source file from the /souirce/ folder and replace it with the new version of the source file, and press F5.)

Thank you so much for these tips! I'll be able to finish it in no time
The more I learn about OmegaT, the more I like to use it.

Thaís Campos
Thaís Campos
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 9, 2020

Milan Condak wrote:

Thaís Campos wrote:

...before using OmegaT...

... in my memories... (in your head: you can only dictate it)

Is there a way to automatically apply all 100% MT matches without having to go through every segment one by one?

TM matches are not MT matches; we use MT if we have no TM match or suggestion from MT is better than TM.

Solution:

1. Add the updated version to source folder of the OLD project. Or,

2. Create a new project and reuse "project_save.tmx" from OLD project. Put it into subfolder "tm/auto/"

Read a manual

https://omegat.sourceforge.io/manual-standard/en/howtos.html#howto.reusetm

3. Reuse Translation Memories

Milan

PS: Now I see, Samuel was faster.

[Edited at 2020-07-09 06:08 GMT]

My mistake! In my language, the acronym to translation memory is MT (memória de tradução).
Anyway, these solutions are great. Thank you.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Pretranslation -- automatically apply all 100% MT matches

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »