How to use translation memory files in XML format?
Thread poster: C. Delal
C. Delal
C. Delal
United States
English to French
Jul 7, 2020

Hi,
I'm new to OmegaT and practicing.
I have some memory files in XML format. OmegaT (4.3.2 version) does not seem to recognize them.
Is there any plug-in I could add to be able to use them? Or any way to convert them in TMX format?
Thanks in advance
C.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:56
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Mrs. Delal Jul 8, 2020

C. Delal wrote:
I have some memory files in XML format.

You have to convert them to TMX, but first you need to figure out what kind of an XML they are in. The label "XML" is extremely generic and can refer to a vast array of file types, so it may be difficult to find a converter that will convert your specific XML file to TMX (this applies to all CAT tools, not just OmegaT).

What can you tell us about these XML files? Where do they come from, or by what kind of a tool were they produced?

C. Delal
C. Delal
United States
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
XML files converted from/by Trados and possibly another CAT tool Jul 8, 2020

Thank you for your answer.
They were given by clients, as part of two short projects I was able to complete without using CAT software.
I was able to open them (in a browser, I think) to use them as reference materials. (They were actually not that helpful as most of the text was completely new.)
One was produced (and converted from TMX, I assume) by Trados, I think.
I am not sure how the other was created, as the organization that sent it might have its own proprietary
... See more
Thank you for your answer.
They were given by clients, as part of two short projects I was able to complete without using CAT software.
I was able to open them (in a browser, I think) to use them as reference materials. (They were actually not that helpful as most of the text was completely new.)
I am not sure how the other was created, as the organization that sent it might have its own proprietary CAT system.

I will try using a converter. Do you have any recommendation?

For practice purposes, I will probably create my own TM files in TMX format, using an aligner and previously translated files. This might be easier than struggling to open those XML files if it does not work on the first try.

Thanks again
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:56
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Mrs. Delal Jul 8, 2020

C. Delal wrote:

Trados's own format is a database file (SDLTM), and Trados 2009+ can export only TMX, so this file would not have come from Trados.

C. Delal
C. Delal
United States
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Good to know. Jul 13, 2020

Thanks

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

How to use translation memory files in XML format?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »