Omega T machine translator API Key problems.
Thread poster: Cynthia Zamora
Cynthia Zamora
Cynthia Zamora
Local time: 02:24
English to Spanish
Jul 1, 2020

I just installed the latest version of Omega T and tried to add both the Google and Microsoft translator as well as Yandex and they all charge. So I added a credit card on all 3 but I still can’t manage to find the API key on any of them. Does anybody know the exact steps to obtain it? I got the Google API key for just a few minutes (one project) and then when I tried to translate a different project it said: (400: Bad Request). Why would it only work for one project? It’s really starting to... See more
I just installed the latest version of Omega T and tried to add both the Google and Microsoft translator as well as Yandex and they all charge. So I added a credit card on all 3 but I still can’t manage to find the API key on any of them. Does anybody know the exact steps to obtain it? I got the Google API key for just a few minutes (one project) and then when I tried to translate a different project it said: (400: Bad Request). Why would it only work for one project? It’s really starting to get on my nerves.Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:24
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Cynthia Jul 1, 2020

Cynthia Zamora wrote:
I still can’t manage to find the API key on any of them.

The API keys for the machine translation systems work on all CAT tools, so "how to get the API key" isn't really an OmegaT-specific question. Someone using e.g. Google with Trados will go through the exact same steps to obtain the API key. So, you're likely to get help quicker if you ask three separate questions (one for Google, one for Microsoft and one for Yandex) here. Getting the API keys are not simple, and the process of getting them are prone to change.

I can confirm that the API key should work with multiple projects. If you tick the box "Store for this session only", OmegaT will forget the API key when you restart OmegaT. Also, in Options > Preferences > Machine Translation, there should be a tick in the box next to the machine translation engine that you want to use.

Added: I posted a how-to for Yandex here.

Added: I attempted to re-figure out how to sign up for Bing Translator, but I also get an error "401" in OmegaT. I just heard from the OmegaT developers that OmegaT only works with older credentials for Bing Translator. OmegaT does not support the latest version of Microsoft Translator's API key.

[Edited at 2020-07-01 10:03 GMT]

Coromoto Jaraba

Cynthia Zamora
Cynthia Zamora
Local time: 02:24
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Api Key resolved Jul 1, 2020

Thank you Samuel! I did what you said and the Google Translator is working perfectly now. I think I'll give up on Microsoft. Google and Yandex will have to do for now.

P. S.
I appreciate your help!

CheyShe
CheyShe
Costa Rica
English to Spanish
I Need help too in this area! Dec 15, 2020

Regarding the API key, in OmegaT, I already bought one and have followed other guidelines of which document add the API key on the OmegaT file, the issue is that when I open Omegat and try to use it It just says "403: Forbidden " I have tried for hours to make it work, bt can't can somebidy tell me what am I doing wrong?

Cheryl

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:24
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
More details Dec 16, 2020

CheyShe wrote:

…what am I doing wrong?

Asking a bad question. Ask a better one. In particular:

• Which version of OmegaT do you use?
  • What is the machine translation service that you want to use?
  • What exactly did you do to use the API key?

[Адрэдагавана 2020-12-16 07:52 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:24
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Cheryl Dec 16, 2020

CheyShe wrote:
Regarding the API key, in OmegaT, I already bought one and...

I assume your question relates to Google Translate (given that you mention a Google Translate error message in your post).

I have followed other guidelines of which document add the API key on the OmegaT file,...

I don't know which guidelines (or which document) are you referring to.

When you say "OmegaT file", can we assume you mean the "OmegaT.l4J.ini" file? The newer versions of OmegaT now allow you to simply type in the API key directly in OmegaT.

In OmegaT, go to Options > Preferences > Machine Translation, then select the machine translation and click the Configure button.

(You can also edit the INI file, but in my experiments OmegaT ignored the file if a master password is set inside OmegaT.)

...the issue is that when I open Omegat and try to use it It just says "403: Forbidden ".

That is indeed a strange error message. When I try an incorrect API key, for me it says "400: Bad Request", so I'm not sure what the "403" message means. This message comes directly from Google Translate and is not an OmegaT error message.

I googled for 403:+Forbidden+google+translate+api and the results indicate that this error message could mean that you've exceeded your Google Translate quota (whatever that means). Did you add credit card details when you "bought" the Google Translate API? Is your credit card still valid?

You can also go into Google's settings and generate another API key -- perhaps you've hit some kind of per-key limit.

Have you used the API key previously, either in OmegaT or in another program?

[Edited at 2020-12-16 08:42 GMT]

CheyShe
CheyShe
Costa Rica
English to Spanish
Not fixed yet Dec 16, 2020

Thank you for the help,

To be more specific, I am using a OmegaT 4.3.2 version, (I downloaded a OmegaT OmegaT_4.3.2_Windows_64_Signed.exe with JRE if i'm not wrong) and the desired machine translation that I am trying to use is the Google Translate one.

I am trying to learn to use Omegat I must say, it's been more complicated than expected so "old school" way I am searching for instructions and turotials regarding it all. When I realized I had to use an API key I found
... See more
Thank you for the help,

To be more specific, I am using a OmegaT 4.3.2 version, (I downloaded a OmegaT OmegaT_4.3.2_Windows_64_Signed.exe with JRE if i'm not wrong) and the desired machine translation that I am trying to use is the Google Translate one.

I am trying to learn to use Omegat I must say, it's been more complicated than expected so "old school" way I am searching for instructions and turotials regarding it all. When I realized I had to use an API key I found out how to get one from Google, and created an account gave my billing info and created a API key that I tried installing on the file (tried with 3 different ones already): "OmegaT.l4J", but the "403: Forbidden " always appeared. I have tried fixing it following other advices given in this website to other people that has had a similar issue, but nothing has worked.

@Samuel I added the CLoud Google API key through "Options > Preferences > Machine Translation, then select the machine translation and click the Configure button." but hasn't worked yet. I checked my credit card everything is fine, I also checked the daily quota it shouldn't even say that because I haven't even gotten to translate with it. I tried one more time, and created a credential and a key with it, but this time it tells me "400: Bad Request" this time, so assuming from your experience I am just using the wrong API... anyway this all exceeds my IT knowledge hahhaa HELP!

Cheryl
Collapse

CheyShe
CheyShe
Costa Rica
English to Spanish
IT WORKS!!!! Dec 16, 2020

ITS WORKING! I can't believe it! Praise God! I had been trying to fix it since a couple of days ago, I was giving up I must say,

What I did: I had my Google API key Application restrictions for my IP address, cause reading I had found out that it was better to have some restrictions on it to have some control over expenses. I changed it to none, and it works!

Thank you all truly!

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Omega T machine translator API Key problems.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »