How can I get my translation into the source format including its pictures and tables?
Thread poster: Jose Lobo
Jose Lobo
Jose Lobo
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:28
Member (2020)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 16, 2020

I am new to OmegaT. I just downloaded the previous version (4.0) which according to the website is more stable than the last one and I am struggling to find info on how to create a file with my translation using the very same format of the source (e.g. Words with pictures and tables, Excel, Powerpoint, pdf, etc.)

I have been searching this forum and I couldn't find any help in previous topics so far. Would you mind helping me with the steps I should follow? Thank you very much.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:28
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Jose Jun 16, 2020

Jose Lobo wrote:
I just downloaded the previous version (4.0) which according to the website is more stable than the last one.

In my opinion, the latest version (5.2.0) is quite stable. The way translation and creation of the translated files happen, is the same in both versions, however.

and I am struggling to find info on how to create a file with my translation using the very same format of the source (e.g. Words with pictures and tables, Excel, Powerpoint, pdf, etc.)

The short answer is: press Ctrl+D and then look in the /target/ folder. Or using the menu: Project > Create Translated Documents.

Can you already see the source text in OmegaT's editor? I mean, were you able to do a translation, and now you're just looking for a way to create the final translated files?

Jose Lobo
Jose Lobo
United Kingdom
Member (2020)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Samuel Murray Jun 16, 2020

Thank you Samuel for your help.
Yes, the txt file with my translation is in the target folder. My question is how to convert that file into the source file keeping the source stuff (e.g. graphics, or excel tables), or where OmegaT saves that file with source format after I follow the steps you suggested.

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:28
Russian to English
+ ...
Consult the manual Jun 16, 2020

If you haven't consulted the manual, you should. There's also a tutorial for beginners (some of it is not up-to-date, but the basics are): https://omegat.org/files/guide/OmegaT_for_Beginners_en.pdf

OmegaT automatically creates the target file to match your source file, with graphics and tables, provided you are using formats that are accepted by OmegaT. So, .docx an
... See more
If you haven't consulted the manual, you should. There's also a tutorial for beginners (some of it is not up-to-date, but the basics are): https://omegat.org/files/guide/OmegaT_for_Beginners_en.pdf

OmegaT automatically creates the target file to match your source file, with graphics and tables, provided you are using formats that are accepted by OmegaT. So, .docx and .xlsx are accepted, but the older Microsoft formats, .doc and .xls, are not accepted. PDFs are a different matter.
Collapse

Jose Lobo

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:28
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Jose Jun 16, 2020

Jose Lobo wrote:
Yes, the TXT file with my translation is in the target folder.

Oh, it sounds like your source file is PDF. OmegaT can't translate PDF files. What OmegaT does with PDF files is it converts it to a plain text (or tries to), and that is what you end up translating. OmegaT joins the ranks of tools like Trados, MemoQ and Wordfast Pro 5, which make you believe that you're translating a PDF file when in fact you're translating something that was converted from PDF.

In the case of those other three, the CAT tool does create an MS Word file with approximately the same layout as the original, but if one should always check the converted file before starting translating, to make sure you're happy with the conversion.

Is this correct... were you trying to translate a PDF file?

If so, your best workflow is probably this: upload your PDF file to Wordfast Anywhere (WFA) and then let it e-mail you the converted DOCX file. If you're happy with the conversion, translate that DOCX file in OmegaT. In fact, if you do that now, i.e. add the converted DOCX file to your current project's /source/ folder, some of the translations that you did until now may be reused in the DOCX file automatically. (Or, if you don't want to upload files, you can download the demo version of WFP5 and use that for the conversion, although it may require extra steps to save the converted DOCX file initially.)

By the way, as a test, I loaded a bank statement into these four tools. Trados' result was the best: it created tables and did not create too many cells. WFP5's result was second best: it created tables, but it seems to struggle with merged cells. MemoQ's result was the worst: it failed to create tables, but instead converted the tabled text into actual paragraphs, and then created a background image that looks like the table borders. Wordfast Anywhere's result was the same as WFP5's (it uses the same engine), but at least WFA is honest about PDFs, as it pops up a warning when you upload the PDF, and tells you to double-check the conversion, and then you must upload the converted file. OmegaT absolutely tanked at the test PDF. What's more, OmegaT doesn't create the target TXT until you press Ctrl+D, so there's no warning to users who did not RTFM that they're not actually doing what they think they are doing.

[Edited at 2020-06-16 19:50 GMT]

Jose Lobo

Jose Lobo
Jose Lobo
United Kingdom
Member (2020)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Susan Jun 16, 2020

Many thanks. Problem solved! It seems that the source file was corrupted and OmegaT kept saving my translation in a .txt file instead of creating a Word doc. I tested now with new Word and Excel documents and it's working fine.

Jose Lobo
Jose Lobo
United Kingdom
Member (2020)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Samuel - Spot on that! Great help Jun 16, 2020

Thank you Samuel. Big hug.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

How can I get my translation into the source format including its pictures and tables?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »