Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:37
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Jun 22, 2018

Hello everyone

I'm moving from Word 2003 to Word 2016 for tracked changes jobs. In Word 2003, when I select a word (and only the word, not the space following it), and I press "delete", Word marks only the selected text as deleted. However, in Word 2016, Word also marks the space following the word as deleted. This is unwanted behaviour -- if I had wanted the space to be marked as deleted, I would have selected it. This means that I have to be extra careful about not forgetting
... See more
Hello everyone

I'm moving from Word 2003 to Word 2016 for tracked changes jobs. In Word 2003, when I select a word (and only the word, not the space following it), and I press "delete", Word marks only the selected text as deleted. However, in Word 2016, Word also marks the space following the word as deleted. This is unwanted behaviour -- if I had wanted the space to be marked as deleted, I would have selected it. This means that I have to be extra careful about not forgetting to add a space again when I type in the replacement text. What is the procedure in Word 2016 to disable this stupid "feature"?

In tracked changes jobs where I had to do the proofreading, I see these types of errors (i.e. space deleted but not manually added again) more frequently these days -- perhaps other translators also struggle with this special space deleting feature in newer versions of MS Word.

Thanks
Samuel
Collapse

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Adjust sentence and word spacing automaticcally? Jun 22, 2018

Maybe you'll find a solution in:
File > Word Options > Advanced > Use smart cut and paste > Settings

This one looks like a candidate:
Adjust sentence and word spacing automaticcally

Cheers,
Gerard

[Edited at 2018-06-22 07:19 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Gerard Jun 22, 2018

Gerard de Noord wrote:
Maybe you'll find a solution in:
File > Word Options > Advanced > Use smart cut and paste > Settings

Yup, that solved it, thanks -- I just disabled smart cut and paste entirely.

(I also noticed that when I paste text directly next to a deleted portion of text, Word 2016 automatically added a space before it, so that I had to remember to delete that space manually as well.)

[Edited at 2018-06-22 07:47 GMT]

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
A VERY old feature Jun 22, 2018

Samuel Murray wrote:

Yup, that solved it, thanks -- I just disabled smart cut and paste entirely.

FWIW, this setting existed in Word XP and all its followers (incl your Word 2003). So MS is not guilty but just consistent.

(BTW, I disabled it "decades" ago.)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word 2016, do not delete space after word

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »