Thread poster: Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 17, 2020

Those of you who have been here for quite some time, as I have, will be familiar with Jenny’s valuable contributions to this forum over the years, and so with heavy heart I have to report that Jenny died in Cornwall on 25 August.

If you wish to offer your condolences personally, please contact her son, Guy Shipton, at [email protected], who has also agreed to allow me to post this tribute on ProZ.

I had
... See more
Those of you who have been here for quite some time, as I have, will be familiar with Jenny’s valuable contributions to this forum over the years, and so with heavy heart I have to report that Jenny died in Cornwall on 25 August.

If you wish to offer your condolences personally, please contact her son, Guy Shipton, at [email protected], who has also agreed to allow me to post this tribute on ProZ.

I had noticed she had been posting less and less recently, although we corresponded in private occasionally. I had a bad feeling about this, especially since she had told me she had not been in the best of health during the summer, and I eventually came up with a Penzance death notice.

Jenny was knowledgeable, insightful, sympathetic, no-nonsense and also highly amusing, and I will miss her posts and messages. I must confess I can feel a tear in my eye as I write this.

[Edited at 2020-09-17 17:52 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-09-17 17:53 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-09-17 18:02 GMT]
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Christel Zipfel
writeaway
Kevin Fulton
Jean Shearer
expressisverbis
texjax DDS PhD

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 08:59
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
My most sincere condolences Sep 17, 2020

I didn't know Jennifer, and it's never easy to find the right words to comfort any person who have lost a loved one.
My deepest sympathies to her family.
God rest her soul!

Philippe Etienne

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Terrible Sep 17, 2020

This is terrible. Jenny and I were in private correspondence, and I recommended her to one of my agency clients in Rome. What a shock. I suggest you collect the tributes made here and pass them on to her family. I'm gutted. I'll miss her. She was funny.

[Edited at 2020-09-17 19:19 GMT]

expressisverbis

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tom Sep 18, 2020

Well said, Tom, and I had thought of something along those lines, but it happens her son Guy is also a translator, and is au fait with things ProZ. The site didn't announce anything as a specific post, but if you go to Jenny's profile at https://www.proz.com/profile/588668, there's an in memoriam message.

[Edited at 2020-09-18 09:15 GMT]

expressisverbis

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
Very sorry to hear this Sep 18, 2020

I did not know Jenny, but we had a number of interesting and mutually respectful exchanges in these forums over the years. My heartfelt condolences to those who were close to her.

Andy Watkinson
expressisverbis

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Condolences to the family Sep 18, 2020

I didn't know Jenny personally, but she was one of the "old guards" and always impeccable in her contributions here on ProZ...

Andy Watkinson
Philippe Etienne
expressisverbis
Kevin Fulton

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
My condolences to those close. Sep 19, 2020

May she rest in peace.

Tom in London
expressisverbis
Miranda Drew

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The late Jennifer (Jenny) Forbes

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »