Thread poster: Nina Spencer
Nina Spencer
Nina Spencer  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:24
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Aug 27, 2007

Hi, all norgies!

I want to invest in new dictionaries but don't really want to go down the 'in print' route as they get out of date so quickly.

Do you know of any good online dictionaries?
Any particularly good general ones that you know of? Any subject-specific ones (financial, business, medical, technical)?

To pay for or free? Or do you think the old-fashioned book versions are still the best? Again, any suggestions?

All help much appr
... See more
Hi, all norgies!

I want to invest in new dictionaries but don't really want to go down the 'in print' route as they get out of date so quickly.

Do you know of any good online dictionaries?
Any particularly good general ones that you know of? Any subject-specific ones (financial, business, medical, technical)?

To pay for or free? Or do you think the old-fashioned book versions are still the best? Again, any suggestions?

All help much appreciated.

Nina
Collapse

John Vikan
John Vikan  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:24
Danish to Norwegian
+ ...
On-line solutions Aug 27, 2007

Suggest you look at:

1: ordnett.no (not free, but the basic solution incl. norwegian-english-norwegian only NOK 398/year)
2: iFinger - a bit more complicated, but very usefull. Look at ifinger.com. Not free.
3: Clue - I find it expensive, and not so userfriendly. Look at http://www.clue-international.com/lookup/lookuplogin.asp.

Lars Finsen
Lars Finsen
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Samlagets medisinske Aug 27, 2007

may be recommended too: http://www.samlaget.no/item.cfm?id=13848&read=lang_omtale

I paid a one-time fee for download. It has English and Nynorsk cuupled entries and is searchable in both. The definitions are in Nynorsk, though, but I'm sure you can handle that.

LEF

William [Bill] Gray
William [Bill] Gray  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
Agree with John... Aug 27, 2007

John Vikan wrote:

Suggest you look at:

1: ordnett.no (not free, but the basic solution incl. norwegian-english-norwegian only NOK 398/year)
2: iFinger - a bit more complicated, but very usefull. Look at ifinger.com. Not free.
3: Clue - I find it expensive, and not so userfriendly. Look at http://www.clue-international.com/lookup/lookuplogin.asp.

Hi Nina,

I have found ordnett.no an excellent site. For work at home I have paid my own subscription to several of the dictionaries, but I am rather lucky in that my other job (teacher training) gives me a complete set, so you can be sure that I check some words out while I'm at the office!

Good luck with your decision

Bill

[Edited at 2007-08-27 19:50]

brigidm
brigidm  Identity Verified
Norway
Norwegian to English
I have the general and the technical dictionaries from iFinger, Aug 31, 2007

and I must say I find them very useful. Yes there are a few mistakes that have popped up, and they could be more comprehensive, and have definitions, but when I'm really stuck for the right word I often use it to 'play around' by searching for synonyms, for example, and often it leads me to the right answer. The same with the technical one - I don't trust it 100% but, again, it often sets me off on the right track. I'm thinking about buying the financial one one soon.

Nina Spencer
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all! Sep 2, 2007

I have already signed up for free trials with iFinger and ordnett - tusen millioner takk!

Nina

Nina Spencer
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
tilbud fra ordnett Sep 10, 2007

Ordnett.no har for tida tilbud på et år for 298 NOK.

Nina

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Norwegian-English-Norwegian Online Dictionary

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »