Thread poster: Nina Spencer
brigidm
brigidm  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 20:29
Norwegian to English
Speaking as an ex-pat who misses the pubs... Feb 1, 2007

Nina Spencer wrote:

The number of times I turned up for a volleyball meeting, dentists appointment or date in the pub an hour before I was meant to!!!

Nina

I don't quite see the problem with the last situation you mention - just means you get time for another G&T, after all... (and how I envy you...!)

William [Bill] Gray
William [Bill] Gray  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
The problems with Bills... Feb 1, 2007

Per Magnus wrote:
What is the story behind the American nicknames?
Why is it that William --> Bill; Richard --> Dick; John --> Jack etc?

Don't know so much about Dick and Jack, but I have put the story behind the Bill on my personal tab at my ProZ profile!

http://www.proz.com/?sp=profile&sp_mode=personal&eid_s=130405

Bill (Small, á la Tele2; without pigs in my decks!!)

[Edited at 2007-02-02 09:49]

Vigdis SJ (X)
Vigdis SJ (X)  Identity Verified
Norway
English to Norwegian
Thanks Bill Feb 10, 2007

Thank you for the information about William and Bill. I have never realised the interesting history behind the nickname.

I found a little about Richard on http://archive.salon.com/people/feature/2000/01/22/name/index.html

And I would like to invite others to share if they have any information about this peculiar American custom. And why is it o
... See more
Thank you for the information about William and Bill. I have never realised the interesting history behind the nickname.

I found a little about Richard on http://archive.salon.com/people/feature/2000/01/22/name/index.html

And I would like to invite others to share if they have any information about this peculiar American custom. And why is it only men who get their names totally rewritten, women only get theirs shortened; like Elizabeth to Liz etc.
Collapse

Hilde Granlund
Hilde Granlund  Identity Verified
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
flere morsomme May 4, 2007

Morsom tråd
En lokal engelskmann her i området, har falt helt for uttrykket "is i magen" - som ikke fins på engelsk, men som han ynder å bruke sånn helt direkte oversatt
Ellers fins det jo nok av morsomme TV- oversettelser å more seg over:
"He led her down the garden path"
"Han tok henne med på tur i hagen"

"You look like
... See more
Morsom tråd
En lokal engelskmann her i området, har falt helt for uttrykket "is i magen" - som ikke fins på engelsk, men som han ynder å bruke sånn helt direkte oversatt
Ellers fins det jo nok av morsomme TV- oversettelser å more seg over:
"He led her down the garden path"
"Han tok henne med på tur i hagen"

"You look like a newborn colt"
"Du ser ut som en nyfødt revolver"
Collapse

Nina Spencer
Nina Spencer  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:29
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
fleas... May 4, 2007

Mannen min (som er engelsk) syntes det var veldig morsomt den første gangen jeg sa at jeg hadde "fleas in my blood" (lopper i blodet). Nå bruker han denne betegnelsen hele tiden!

Nina

Per Magnus
Per Magnus  Identity Verified
English to Norwegian
Norwenglish May 4, 2007

En vinter ble en engelskmann intervjuet i NRK. Og da de kom inn på de norske vinterveiene spurte journalisten ”Do you have pigs in your decks when you travel here in Norway?

Og muligens den beste av alle; da vår statsminister Odvar Nordli åpnet oljemessen i Stavanger med ordene: ”Welcome to this mess”.

pamawa (X)
pamawa (X)
Norway
Dick... May 24, 2007

The story behind Dick isn't that complicated - it's just phonetics. Small children often find [r] hard to say and the closest approximation is often [d]. Apparently I called my brother "Dickdick" for several years...

My favourite Norwenglish joke is the story of the interpreter at an Aids conference run by the Salvation Army. The speaker said, "We can't expect the whole world to have safe sex". The interpreter (doubtless influenced by the surroundings) said "Vi kan ikke vente at hel
... See more
The story behind Dick isn't that complicated - it's just phonetics. Small children often find [r] hard to say and the closest approximation is often [d]. Apparently I called my brother "Dickdick" for several years...

My favourite Norwenglish joke is the story of the interpreter at an Aids conference run by the Salvation Army. The speaker said, "We can't expect the whole world to have safe sex". The interpreter (doubtless influenced by the surroundings) said "Vi kan ikke vente at hele verden skal ha frelst sex". Safe - saved - well....
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

What a beautiful language we have!

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »