Thread poster: Marcela Robaina Boyd
Marcela Robaina Boyd
Marcela Robaina Boyd  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 8, 2006

First of all, I'd like to apologise for writing in English in this forum, but my languages are just English and Spanish.

I have been asked to quote on an English-Spanish translation for a Norwegian company and have been informed that in Norway translations are quoted on a page basis. Therefore, I did a quick calculation and "transformed" my quote to a page-basis.

However, they now say it's much more than what they usually pay. They are saying they pay US$14/page. This
... See more
First of all, I'd like to apologise for writing in English in this forum, but my languages are just English and Spanish.

I have been asked to quote on an English-Spanish translation for a Norwegian company and have been informed that in Norway translations are quoted on a page basis. Therefore, I did a quick calculation and "transformed" my quote to a page-basis.

However, they now say it's much more than what they usually pay. They are saying they pay US$14/page. This is way too low for the kind of technical translation they need.

I would appreciate if anyone in this forum could tell me if these are the fees being paid in Norway, just in case.

If the moderator believes this posting should be forwarded to another forum, it's ok with me.

Thank you all for your comments,
Marcela Robaina
Collapse

Christian Schoenberg
Christian Schoenberg  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:05
Danish to English
+ ...
Not my experience Aug 8, 2006

Dear Marcela,

Is it an agency? Or a regular firm? In either case page-counting hasn't been my experience at all (and that price, by the bye, sounds very low for any kind of translation) with Norwegian companies.

Page quotes, of course, mostly makes sense if the client has box-loads of documents and when the volume would make it excessively burdensome to count words.

Anyway, just my two cents'...

... See more
Dear Marcela,

Is it an agency? Or a regular firm? In either case page-counting hasn't been my experience at all (and that price, by the bye, sounds very low for any kind of translation) with Norwegian companies.

Page quotes, of course, mostly makes sense if the client has box-loads of documents and when the volume would make it excessively burdensome to count words.

Anyway, just my two cents'...

Best,
Christian
www.tollund.com
Collapse

Marcela Robaina Boyd
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank You Aug 8, 2006

Thank you Christian.

It's not an agency but an important consulting engineering firm. I've done some small translation jobs for them in the past, and never had any problems whatsoever with my fees. However, they have loads of documents to translate this time, and word counting should not be a problem.

brigidm
brigidm  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 17:05
Norwegian to English
Possible misunderstanding here? Aug 8, 2006

Hi Marcela

Firstly, to say that in Norway translations are priced on a per-page basis is a sweeping generalisation. Most translators I know work on a per-word basis (source text) unless asked otherwise. Certainly all of my direct clients are happy with that.

And what is their definition of a "per-page basis"? I have had relatively little dealings with Norwegian agencies, but was recently asked to give my price based on a per-page basis. They worked on the basis of one p
... See more
Hi Marcela

Firstly, to say that in Norway translations are priced on a per-page basis is a sweeping generalisation. Most translators I know work on a per-word basis (source text) unless asked otherwise. Certainly all of my direct clients are happy with that.

And what is their definition of a "per-page basis"? I have had relatively little dealings with Norwegian agencies, but was recently asked to give my price based on a per-page basis. They worked on the basis of one page with 1800 characters with space. I found a very useful converter tool here: http://www.serious.ro/en/convertor.php , and could deliver my rate as requested. The agency was satisfied, and I got the assignment. Ask them to define "page"!

As for US$14 per page - there has to be a misunderstanding here! I just checked the average per-word rate for Norwegian to English, and it's 0.14 US$. And I personally would not accept that price from a Norwegian company for translating a technical text.

Kind regards,
Brigid
Collapse

Marcela Robaina Boyd
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Unfortunately, no misuderstanding Aug 8, 2006

Thank you, Brigid, for your reply. Unfortunately, there is no misunderstanding. I wish it were.

I have seen the document and pages have aprox. 300 words per page. In fact, what I did was convert my per-word to a 300-word-per- page basis to give them my price.

However, I just wanted to have some reassurance from fellow translators more acquainted probably with Norway and you have ll been very helpful. Thank you also for the convertor link.

Zsanett Rozendaal-Pandur
Zsanett Rozendaal-Pandur  Identity Verified
Hungary
Dutch to Hungarian
+ ...
Price is not normal Aug 8, 2006

Marcela Robaina Boyd wrote:

Thank you, Brigid, for your reply. Unfortunately, there is no misunderstanding. I wish it were.

I have seen the document and pages have aprox. 300 words per page. In fact, what I did was convert my per-word to a 300-word-per- page basis to give them my price.

However, I just wanted to have some reassurance from fellow translators more acquainted probably with Norway and you have ll been very helpful. Thank you also for the convertor link.

Marcela,

if the pages have 300 words and they want to pay you USD 14,00/page then it's definitely not normal. I live in Norway, although i don't do much local business as Norwegian is not yet one of my working languages. But the times I have worked with Norwegian translators, the prices were definitely much higher - naturally. It would seriously surprise me if there was anybody in Norway who would accept a rate like this at all, even if it were a non-technical translation.

Good luck!

Christian Schoenberg
Christian Schoenberg  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:05
Danish to English
+ ...
sweeping generalisation Aug 8, 2006

Brigid McCauley wrote:

I'm not sure... were you referring to a sweeping generalization that I made?

Best,
Christian

brigidm
brigidm  Identity Verified
Norway
Norwegian to English
Wires crossed! Aug 9, 2006

Christian Schoenberg wrote:

I'm not sure... were you referring to a sweeping generalization that I made?

Best,
Christian

No, not at all, Christian. I was referring to the company's claim that this was the case in Norway.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Translation Quotation practices in Norway

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »