Thread poster: Annette Bredewold
Annette Bredewold
Annette Bredewold
Denmark
Local time: 20:41
Finnish to German
+ ...
Feb 27, 2005

I will move in summer to Bergen to begin my doctoral studies there. I would like to work as a translator there (I am translating from Finnish and English into German), but I need some advice to get started as well as possible. Where can I get a VAT-ID in Norway? Does anyone know, are there any international translation-agencies in/ near Bergen or in Southern-Norway, where I could ask for a permanent or part-time-job? What is the tax-free-border for freelancers in Norway? (In Austria it is about ... See more
I will move in summer to Bergen to begin my doctoral studies there. I would like to work as a translator there (I am translating from Finnish and English into German), but I need some advice to get started as well as possible. Where can I get a VAT-ID in Norway? Does anyone know, are there any international translation-agencies in/ near Bergen or in Southern-Norway, where I could ask for a permanent or part-time-job? What is the tax-free-border for freelancers in Norway? (In Austria it is about 21000 €/ year)At least a non-translation-related question: Are there any "friend-finder"-sites in Norway or especially Bergen? I don't want to be to lonely in the first months..:-)

Thank you in advance!
Annette
Collapse

Eivind Lilleskjaeret
Eivind Lilleskjaeret  Identity Verified
English to Norwegian
+ ...
translator in Norway - some pointers Feb 28, 2005

Hi Annette,

Annette Wirsing wrote:

I will move in summer to Bergen to begin my doctoral studies there. I would like to work as a translator there (I am translating from Finnish and English into German), but I need some advice to get started as well as possible. Where can I get a VAT-ID in Norway?

Try http://www.brreg.no/english/registers/business/, although I am not sure whether you need to register in Norway if you're already registered in Austria, and you don't intend to take up permanent residence in Norway.

Does anyone know, are there any international translation-agencies in/ near Bergen or in Southern-Norway, where I could ask for a permanent or part-time-job?

Try http://search.kvasir.no/query?what=bransje&content=oversetting&geo_area=bergen&Submit=S�k

What is the tax-free-border for freelancers in Norway? (In Austria it is about 21000 €/ year)

You can earn up to 50,000 kroner (6,000 EUR) as a freelancer before you need to worry about VAT. There is no tax exempt income for freelancers - but again, there is the question of which country you are going to pay tax to. Maybe someone else can help. For some general information about taxation in Norway, see http://www.skatteetaten.no/Templates/Artikkel.aspx?id=9647. There is also a link to "Tax treaties between Norway and other states" which may be useful.

At least a non-translation-related question: Are there any "friend-finder"-sites in Norway or especially Bergen? I don't want to be to lonely in the first months..:-)

Thank you in advance!
Annette

There are plenty of friend-finder sites, but the problem is, they're in Norwegian. Will you be living in student housing? In that case, you'll meet a lot of people there. Bergen is a small city with a comparatively large student population. I think you'll be fine!

Annette Bredewold
Annette Bredewold
Denmark
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Feb 28, 2005

Thank you very much for your detailed answer!
If you know some sites in Norwegian, you can tell me them too - so I started to learn the language with a private teacher some months ago and I can already understand a lot in written language.
I will complete my hole doctoral studies in Bergen. So it will take at least 2-3 years. Maybe longer, if I like to be there
Do you know, are there any other possibilities to w
... See more
Thank you very much for your detailed answer!
If you know some sites in Norwegian, you can tell me them too - so I started to learn the language with a private teacher some months ago and I can already understand a lot in written language.
I will complete my hole doctoral studies in Bergen. So it will take at least 2-3 years. Maybe longer, if I like to be there
Do you know, are there any other possibilities to work as a foreigner (native German) in this area?
I did not think about it, but living in a student-appartement would be a nice alternative to find friends.
Thank you again for your advises and the links!

Best regards

Annette
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

How to work as a (freelance) translator in Norway

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »