Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 19:29
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Nov 5, 2004

Hi folks

I sometimes translate a little Norwegian into English ... but I need some better dictionaries!

What can you recommend? Insurance for the man in the street is one of my recurring themes, and I get by with the excellent Danish Lyng-Svensson and check-up e-mails to my client, or your kindness on KudoZ!

I have Kirkeby's Stor Ordbok, Janet Aagenæs and a c ouple of highly technical multilingual glossaries from Rådet for Teknisk Terminologi that I picke
... See more
Hi folks

I sometimes translate a little Norwegian into English ... but I need some better dictionaries!

What can you recommend? Insurance for the man in the street is one of my recurring themes, and I get by with the excellent Danish Lyng-Svensson and check-up e-mails to my client, or your kindness on KudoZ!

I have Kirkeby's Stor Ordbok, Janet Aagenæs and a c ouple of highly technical multilingual glossaries from Rådet for Teknisk Terminologi that I picked up in a sale. But that's it as far as Norwegian goes.

Is there a good business dictionary with an English-Norwegian section as well, that I can double-check in?

Thanks for any suggestions and comments!
Collapse

Eivind Lilleskjaeret
Eivind Lilleskjaeret  Identity Verified
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Noen forslag Nov 5, 2004

Aagenæs sin nye Engelsk økonomisk blå ordbok (Kunnskapsforlaget) går begge veier. Den er nyttig. Korsvold/Snellingen: N-E / E-N økonomisk ordbok (Cappelen akademisk forlag) er mindre, men komplementerer Aagenæs.
Engelsk stor ordbok fra Kunnskapsforlaget er den nyeste store, generelle ordboken som går begge veier. Også nyttig, selv om det fortsatt er Svenkeruds Cappelens store engelsk-norsk ordbok som regjerer til norsk.

Hilsen Eivind

brigidm
brigidm  Identity Verified
Norway
Norwegian to English
Flere forslag Nov 5, 2004

"Norsk-engelsk Ordbok for handel og næringsliv", Kirkeby (Grøndahl Dreyer) is good to have, though perhaps somewhat dated in some areas now (think the last edition dates back to 1992 unless I'm mistaken). I recently purchased "Det store norske økonomileksikon", Nørgaard, Borud, Engevik (Cappelen), som gir greie forklaringer på termer innenfor ledelse, økonomi, finans, markedsføring og jus.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks - I'm off to the academic bookshop! Nov 8, 2004

Thanks for the good suggestions -
I'll have a look at them and maybe put them on my Christmas wish list. Others I'll have to buy myself to be sure to get them!

Christine

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Gode ordbøker NO-EN, EN-NO?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »