Open Office for Norwegian, is the spell-checker version out?
Thread poster: Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Local time: 04:59
Swedish to English
+ ...
Sep 22, 2004

Hello, I downloaded the Open Office for Norwegian, I think the version is 1.1.3., however, it does not have the spell-checker for either New Norwegian or traditional Norwegian (it has, however, a spell-checker for Icelandic (!), as well as other languages, among them Danish). There was a software upgrade downloadable from openoffice.com, but I cannot get it to work, as it asks for a diskette to be inserted, which I don't have. I was hoping it might have these tools, including a thesaurus.

koster (X)
koster (X)
English
Open Office Norwegian/Icelandic dictionaries Oct 13, 2004

Yngve Roennike wrote:

Hello, I downloaded the Open Office for Norwegian, I think the version is 1.1.3., however, it does not have the spell-checker for either New Norwegian or traditional Norwegian (it has, however, a spell-checker for Icelandic (!), as well as other languages, among them Danish). There was a software upgrade downloadable from openoffice.com, but I cannot get it to work, as it asks for a diskette to be inserted, which I don't have. I was hoping it might have these tools, including a thesaurus.

Dear Yngve,

I have two different Open Office Norwegian dictionaries, but I don't have the Icelandic one.

I would like the Icelandic dictionary, so please email me and we can exchange the files.

[email protected]

Laurence

Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Local time: 04:59
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Icelandic is included in the Norwegian version. Oct 13, 2004

Laurence,

With the Norwegian version I successfully downloaded I could enable spell-checking for a whole slew of languages from a scrollable menu somewhere in a panel that popped up on the right, it was not restricted to just Norwegian, which was grayed out, and actually could not be selected. If you nevertheless chose Norwegian, I think I got a message saying not available at this time, whereupon I could no longer select any language for spell-checking (I'm trying to reconstruct m
... See more
Laurence,

With the Norwegian version I successfully downloaded I could enable spell-checking for a whole slew of languages from a scrollable menu somewhere in a panel that popped up on the right, it was not restricted to just Norwegian, which was grayed out, and actually could not be selected. If you nevertheless chose Norwegian, I think I got a message saying not available at this time, whereupon I could no longer select any language for spell-checking (I'm trying to reconstruct more or less faithfully the sequence of events). Icelandic was one of the active, non-grayed languages, but I did not press it, as I have no need to check that language.

If you wish to set up a downloadable version of the fully-fledged Norwegian version including the spell-checker from your website or in some other fashion, that would be nice. That way I will not have to go through a cumbersome new installation procedure, which I have not gotten around to. There is a similar thread of interest in the Translator's resources forum with my byline in which some qualified translators contributed with their comments and suggestions.

Yngve
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Open Office for Norwegian, is the spell-checker version out?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »