Clue versus Kappelen, Kunskapsforlaget, e-dix offerings
Thread poster: Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Local time: 01:06
Swedish to English
+ ...
Sep 30, 2009

Now that I am in this forum, I'd like to ask members about electronic dictionaries for Norwegian.
There seems to be at least two vendors available, i.e., Wordfinder providing Kunskapsforlagets general dix, and three Kappelen works concerning technical, business, legal, and then Clue with a similar complement.

Clue is very expensive, if you want all their offerings you run up a tab of a couple of thousand dollars for their online versions, so is it really worth it. I actually
... See more
Now that I am in this forum, I'd like to ask members about electronic dictionaries for Norwegian.
There seems to be at least two vendors available, i.e., Wordfinder providing Kunskapsforlagets general dix, and three Kappelen works concerning technical, business, legal, and then Clue with a similar complement.

Clue is very expensive, if you want all their offerings you run up a tab of a couple of thousand dollars for their online versions, so is it really worth it. I actually test-ran a 24-hour version (which ran for half a day only), which was unimpressive, so are we talking "extorsion" here? I guess I am biased from using ordbogen.com at a fraction of these prices.

I did, however, like Clue's computer resident version 8.1 (I think the number was).
Collapse

jeffrey engberg
jeffrey engberg  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 07:06
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
All the same? Sep 30, 2009

After many years in the translation business I have accumulated many dicitionaries.
Clue, Cappelans, Wordfinder, ifinger and ordnett.
They all seem to have the same basic dictionary(ies).
Clue often gives answers where the others do not.
I think they use, or used to use, a user-interface to enter unfound words.
Wordfinder had the best overall technical dictionaries - it often helps to have Danish and Swedish alongside Norwegian when searching for those difficult wor
... See more
After many years in the translation business I have accumulated many dicitionaries.
Clue often gives answers where the others do not.
I think they use, or used to use, a user-interface to enter unfound words.
Wordfinder had the best overall technical dictionaries - it often helps to have Danish and Swedish alongside Norwegian when searching for those difficult words.
ifinger, which no longer exists, had the best interface of all. That is, a function where you can search by hotkeys/finger shortcuts, to cut down mouse-time.
Collapse

Bjørnar Magnussen
Bjørnar Magnussen  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:06
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Søkemotorer vs. ordbøker Nov 28, 2009

jeffrey engberg wrote:

Det kan virke som om det er en del forvirring ang. søkemotorer og ordbøker.

Clue er en kombinert elektronisk ordbok/søkemotor.

Wordfinder er en søkemotor som du kan bruke sammen med en rekke ordbøker, bl.a. Kunnskapsforlagets og Cappelens:
http://www.wordfinder.com/com.asp?action=showproductlist&hid=1400299,1400310&sid=1400354

iFinger er også en søkemotor som du tidligere kunne få sammen med Kunnskapsforlaget ordbøker, men per i dag er utvalget svært begrenset: http://www.ifinger.no/content/view/full/60?lf=69

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Clue versus Kappelen, Kunskapsforlaget, e-dix offerings

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »