Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Do you ask agencies about their rates before filling out all their questionnaires?
Thread poster: Katrin Hoelscher
William Bowley
William Bowley
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
Frustrating Mar 19, 2021

The length and nature of the test should have raised alarm bells.

I've spent too much time over the years filling out paperwork only to never see any work materialise from some companies. Then again, for some it's the only way to get on their books. It's often more for their benefit though ("Look how many excellent translators we have on our books. Haven't the recruitment department done a fantastic job!")

The famous line: 'can you provide us with your best rates' that
... See more
The length and nature of the test should have raised alarm bells.

I've spent too much time over the years filling out paperwork only to never see any work materialise from some companies. Then again, for some it's the only way to get on their books. It's often more for their benefit though ("Look how many excellent translators we have on our books. Haven't the recruitment department done a fantastic job!")

The famous line: 'can you provide us with your best rates' that many agencies endlessly state should in fact be turned on agencies themselves, particularly in this day and age with the popularity of trying to get high-quality work at bargain basement rates. Who's to say even if they accept your rates that they'll ever give you work at those rates?

They can want all the quality in the world, but if they're not willing to pay for it then when push comes to shove they don't really want it.

[Edited at 2021-03-19 18:45 GMT]
Collapse

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:30
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
But... Mar 19, 2021

William Bowley wrote:
They can want all the quality in the world, but if they're not willing to pay for it then when push comes to shove they don't really want it.

...if they try it on with enough freelancers, eventually some foolish or naive person will accept a low rate and perform high-quality work in return.

As many different forum members have pointed out many times over the years, the single most effective thing that freelancers can do to improve their own lot, and that of the industry, is to say one word: No.

Dan

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Philip Lees
Kevin Fulton
Katya Kesten
ahartje
Christine Andersen
Yvonne Gallagher

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:30
Japanese to English
+ ...
Rates Mar 20, 2021

A recent scam involves Chinese agencies telling me that after I provide regular (not test) translations for them, they will determine the rate depending on the quality.
Recent quirky notices from a Japanese agency and a Taiwanese agency: "Just because you pass the test doesn't necessarily mean we will give you any work". At least they are honest about it.

Adieu

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:30
German to English
+ ...
I tell them the rates.... Mar 21, 2021

.... that my fees are based on. An agency is a customer. When I'm a customer purchasing a service, the provider of that service tells me their fee. A customer doesn't tell what they intend to pay.

A agency can certainly have their own rates .... which they charge their customers.

Christel Zipfel
Jana Teteris
Christine Andersen

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you ask agencies about their rates before filling out all their questionnaires?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »