Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:00
Member (2008)
Italian to English
OK hold on Mar 16, 2021

Mark Harris wrote:

They completely ignored my final email

If you mean they didn't reply, that's OK.

I gave them until the end of this week to pay me

OK, wait patiently until the end of this week, but make preparations.

I think they are having cash flow issues

No- *you* are having cash flow issues

they possibly can't pay me even if they wanted to.

That is speculation on your part, and anyway it's no concern of yours.

€1000 is a decent chunk of change!

Indeed it is. And if you do end up taking it to a lawyer, make sure you get the €1000 + the lawyer's fees + compensation for all the trouble this has caused. Use these next few days to find a lawyer in the same city as the non-payer.

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:00
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Mark, have you already followed ... Mar 16, 2021

Michael Newton wrote:

Post a bad review on the Blue Board. That may set a fire under them.

... Michael's advice, before hiring any lawyer, who you have to pay anyway, no matter, whether you succeed or not, once hired?

expressisverbis

3089491 (X)
3089491 (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
You are at fault, too Mar 16, 2021

Repeated messages, adding nothing to the discussion, erode good will.

Flow cash issues are temporary, you just have to have some patience.

My advice is: don't post in Blue Board (yet).

You have a duty to the community to inform of bad client behavior. But first, give them a chance to redeem themselves.

Write a to-be-published Blue Board comment. Make it factual, objective and polite. Give them a chance to have an opinion on it.

Ple
... See more

You have a duty to the community to inform of bad client behavior. But first, give them a chance to redeem themselves.

Write a to-be-published Blue Board comment. Make it factual, objective and polite. Give them a chance to have an opinion on it.

Please don't forget to keep us up to date. We're all emotionally involved, already. 😀

Good luck!
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I disagree Mar 16, 2021

Mihai Badea wrote:

Don't do this. You have already sent your final email and it is vital that you do not, ever again, contact them directly.

The only contact (if necessary) should be a letter from your lawyer.

"Radio silence" is essential at this stage. Any contact between you and them will simply give them another opportunity to not pay.

They still have 3 days in which to pay.

[Edited at 2021-03-16 09:22 GMT]

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
I disagree Mar 16, 2021

Mihai Badea wrote:

😀

Posting a non payment report in the blue board always worked for me, (I received the payment after very few days). I suggest you to post a low rate and a non payment report, staff will contact you and will contact them.

If I were you I will post right now.

Good Luck

Matthias Brombach
expressisverbis
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Steven Fung

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Josephine will sort it for you Mar 16, 2021

Tom in London wrote:
Use these next few days to find a lawyer in the same city as the non-payer.

I’m sure I’ve still got Maitre Karlsson’s number in my Rolodex somewhere...

expressisverbis

Mark Harris
Mark Harris
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm at fault? Mar 16, 2021

Mihai Badea wrote:

Please don't forget to keep us up to date. We're all emotionally involved, already. 😀

Good luck!

I fail to see how I'm at fault here. They have repeatedly lied to me (promising payment, giving false excuses) and have now ceased replying to me entirely. I am reliant on payment of invoices to pay my rent and bills, so I cannot afford to wait indefinitely for them to sort their finances out and pay me. I think I've been very patient with them until now, but I don't see any other direction I can take now. Plus it turns out that I'm not the only translator who has had to threaten them with legal action to get paid.

I will of course leave a negative review on Blue Board eventually, because I don't want other translators to have to go through this, but I don't see any benefit in doing that until this is all settled, one way or another.

Steven Fung

Mark Harris
Mark Harris
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agreed Mar 16, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

Don't do this. You have already sent your final email and it is vital that you do not, ever again, contact them directly.

The only contact (if necessary) should be a letter from your lawyer.

"Radio silence" is essential at this stage. Any contact between you and them will simply give them another opportunity to not pay.

They still have 3 days in which to pay.

[Edited at 2021-03-16 09:22 GMT]

Yes, I don't see any need to write anything on the Blue Board yet, not until this has all been sorted.

My initial intention was to use the EU small claims procedure, which someone mentioned earlier in this thread. I don't actually have a lawyer at this point and I'm not sure I could afford one at this stage. Is there any reason why you don't think the small claims procedure would be effective?

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Radio silence Mar 16, 2021

Mark, I don't know why you can't understand. It's been said so many times, too, and it's simple:

Do NOT reply to this man. Do NOT re-engage with him. Do NOT argue with him. Have NOTHING more to do with him. Do NOT contact Tom by any means whatsoever. The NO-NO-NO advice will never stop. Not even on weekends and public holidays.

[Edited at 2021-03-16 13:31 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-03-16 13:32 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis

Angie Garbarino
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Non payment report in Blue Board Mar 16, 2021

Mark Harris wrote:

Yes, I don't see any need to write anything on the Blue Board yet, not until this has all been sorted.

My initial intention was to use the EU small claims procedure, which someone mentioned earlier in this thread. I don't actually have a lawyer at this point and I'm not sure I could afford one at this stage. Is there any reason why you don't think the small claims procedure would be effective?

This is the need to write in the BB.

I see you do not know how NON PAYMENT REPORT in the BB works, this is the faster, easier way to recover money, BECAUSE, staff will contact them and 90/% they will pay, if not then use small claims or whatever you like.

But please be advised that, after 3 non payment reports they will be banned from posting at Proz.com, so this is often useful for recovering money.
I hope I have explained,

Matthias Brombach
expressisverbis

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Ignore Mar 16, 2021

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Mark, I don't know why you can't understand. It's been said so many times, too, and it's simple:

Do NOT reply to this man. Do NOT re-engage with him. Do NOT argue with him. Have NOTHING more to do with him. Do NOT contact Tom by any means whatsoever. The NO-NO-NO advice will never stop. Not even on weekends and public holidays.

Mark - ignore this fool. He thinks these forums are a playpen for babies.

Christopher Schröder
Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio

Mark Harris
Mark Harris
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Strange Mar 16, 2021

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Well Tom has offered me plenty of practical advice to help me resolve the issue that caused me to create this post, whereas you have done nothing but hijack my post to post bizarre snarky comments. You seem to have some kind of strange vendetta against him, but stalking him through translator forums to snipe at him seems like an odd way to spend your time if you ask me...

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Baran Keki

Mark Harris
Mark Harris
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
For another time maybe Mar 16, 2021

Angie Garbarino wrote:

This is the need to write in the BB.

I see you do not know how NON PAYMENT REPORT in the BB works, this is the faster, easier way to recover money, BECAUSE, staff will contact them and 90/% they will pay, if not then use small claims or whatever you like.

But please be advised that, after 3 non payment reports they will be banned from posting at Proz.com, so this is often useful for recovering money.
I hope I have explained,

On this occasion I'm just going to go straight for making a legal claim. I've told them this is what I will do if I don't receive the payment by the end of this week, so I don't really want to veer from that strategy now.

It is useful to know that this is an option though, so thank you. However, I'm not sure if I'm just being dense, but I can't seem to see a non payment report option on the Blue Board when I bring up the company in question. It's not just a service or premium members is it?

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Tomfoolery Mar 16, 2021

Tom in London wrote:
Mark - ignore this fool. He thinks these forums are a playpen for babies.

Me too. Tom, I challenge you to name one genuinely useful, knowledgeable, intelligent discussion on a new topic on ProZ in the past year.

See. Everything has already been said. So why not have a bit of fun?

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Christel Zipfel
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Angie Garbarino
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Available to everyone Mar 16, 2021

Mark Harris wrote:
but I can't seem to see a non payment report option on the Blue Board when I bring up the company in question. It's not just a service or premium members is it?

It does not appear immediately BUT ONLY When you post a low rate, after that posting a pop up appears requesting if you want to send a non payment report.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Appropriate action to take in response to non-payment of invoice

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »