Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Literary Translation (ENG to FR) offered rates : too low ?
Thread poster: Elodie Marias
Elodie Marias
Elodie Marias  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:53
English to French
+ ...
Jan 6, 2021

Hi everyone,

I had been contacted a few weeks ago by an American agency (literary translation).

They gave me an assessment, I dit it and they were happy with it.

They want me to translate a romance novel (75K words) but they offer $0.015 per source word.

Is that me or are their rates really low ?

Thank you forward for your help

Regards,
Elodie.

Yolanda Broad
Sandra OLIVER

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:53
English to French
+ ...
Of course, it is low. Jan 6, 2021

And you are under no obligation to accept.

[Edited at 2021-01-06 15:26 GMT]

Yolanda Broad
Joe France
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Elena Aclasto
P.L.F. Persio

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
English to German
+ ...
Literary Translation (ENG to FR) offered rates : too low ? Jan 6, 2021

Elodie Marias wrote:

Hi everyone,

I had been contacted a few weeks ago by an American agency (literary translation).

They want me to translate a romance novel (75K words) but they offer $0.015 per source word.

Regards,
Elodie.

It's not you... it's low, definitely.

Yolanda Broad
P.L.F. Persio

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Multiply by 10 or thereabouts Jan 6, 2021

Hi Elodie
I've translated a few books and charge my usual rate which is almost ten times that. They will be long jobs with deadlines that are easy to meet (2 – 3 chapters per month).

Books can take longer than other jobs; they can be more complicated, require more research, and contain parts that need clarifying.

75 thousand words will take about 35 working days, maybe more, in other words about 1.5 - 2 months.

One grand for two month's work = the t
... See more
Hi Elodie
I've translated a few books and charge my usual rate which is almost ten times that. They will be long jobs with deadlines that are easy to meet (2 – 3 chapters per month).

Books can take longer than other jobs; they can be more complicated, require more research, and contain parts that need clarifying.

75 thousand words will take about 35 working days, maybe more, in other words about 1.5 - 2 months.

One grand for two month's work = the time it takes to write "Thanks, but I’d rather be lugging boxes at Bargain City."
Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Rachel Waddington
Wolfgang Schoene
Tom in London
Sheila Wilson
Korana Lasić

Veronica Montserrat
Veronica Montserrat
France
Member (2020)
English to French
+ ...
Yes, Jan 6, 2021

it's very low.

Now it's up to you to decide if you want to take this job or not.
I read on your profile that you were interested in translating novels. If you enjoy this type of work, it could be a pleasant one-time experience, if the deadline allows you to work on other projects at the same time. Because this type of rate will probably not pay your bills.

Yolanda Broad
Tom in London
Tina Vonhof (X)
Philip Lees
Sandra OLIVER

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 19:53
Japanese to English
Ask more questions Jan 6, 2021

Veronica Montserrat wrote:

it's very low.

Now it's up to you to decide if you want to take this job or not.
I read on your profile that you were interested in translating novels.

It's extremely low and will take up time you could use on better paying jobs. But if the publisher will give you translation credits, you could use that as leverage to get more novel translation projects. In theory. And there's no evidence that those would pay any better...

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
You were lucky Jan 7, 2021

Elodie Marias wrote:

Things could have been worse. That agency might have asked you to pay them in order to get this project.

In the face of such a low and actually insulting rate the only possible answer is sarcasm.

Korana Lasić
P.L.F. Persio
Barbara Carrara
Fatine Echenique
Gemma Major

Elodie Marias
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all ! Jan 7, 2021

Thank you for your comments, which helped me making my decision (I said no unless they agree to reconsider their rates)

Korana Lasić
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Tamara Salvio
Gemma Major
Sandra OLIVER

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
Unusual approach Jan 7, 2021

Bonjour Élodie,

It is not very usual to deal with an agency for the translation of a novel. It's usually a matter concerning publishing houses. And these don't operate as agencies counting the source word. This proposal is unprofessional, reason why the proposed tariff is absurd and why no other tariff can make you forget it. If you are really interested in literary translation, offer your talents to publishers, don't expect anything from a commercial agency.

Stuart Hoskins
Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Anne Gouzard
Geoffrey Black
Bernhard Sulzer
Jorge Payan

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Get out of bed, make your bed Jan 7, 2021

You need to determine a "get-out-of-bed" rate. I would not get out of bed for 1 centime/word.
An agency once offered me this rate for proofreading. I bore in mind that the person who cleaned their offices were on the SMIC and had decent social protection.
I refused the offer.

Once you get out of bed, you need to make your bed. Once you've made it, you will be the only one lying on it. Remember that.

On the matter of making your bed, this might inspire you
... See more
You need to determine a "get-out-of-bed" rate. I would not get out of bed for 1 centime/word.
An agency once offered me this rate for proofreading. I bore in mind that the person who cleaned their offices were on the SMIC and had decent social protection.
I refused the offer.

Once you get out of bed, you need to make your bed. Once you've made it, you will be the only one lying on it. Remember that.

On the matter of making your bed, this might inspire you into making the right choice about the offer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxBQLFLei70&ab_channel=TexasExes

[Edited at 2021-01-07 17:22 GMT]
Collapse

Elodie Marias
P.L.F. Persio

Elodie Marias
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I agree ! Jan 7, 2021

Adrien Esparron wrote:

Bonjour Élodie,

It is not very usual to deal with an agency for the translation of a novel. It's usually a matter concerning publishing houses. And these don't operate as agencies counting the source word. This proposal is unprofessional, reason why the proposed tariff is absurd and why no other tariff can make you forget it. If you are really interested in literary translation, offer your talents to publishers, don't expect anything from a commercial agency.

Bonjour Adrien,

I know it is absolutely unusual, I have already worked with French Publishing Houses in the past.

However, this agency seems to be specialized in literary works (and has good reviews on ProZ...) that's why I am really confused.

But all the answers provided on the forum help, including yours.

Thank you

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Elodie and others. Jan 8, 2021

Hi

Earlier this morning, I received a bulk email from what I think is the same agency mentioned in your thread, offering a 'romantic literary translation' (EN-IT).
I checked the job post, in which they claim,
'You will be paid by source word - please include your price per word in your proposal.'
Out of curiosity, I went on to check their application form, only to discover that,
'The rate per word source word for this project is $0.015 USD.*
... See more
Hi

Earlier this morning, I received a bulk email from what I think is the same agency mentioned in your thread, offering a 'romantic literary translation' (EN-IT).
I checked the job post, in which they claim,
'You will be paid by source word - please include your price per word in your proposal.'
Out of curiosity, I went on to check their application form, only to discover that,
'The rate per word source word for this project is $0.015 USD.*
*By filling out this application, I understand that the source word rate will not be increased.'

The rate 'offered' matches yours. So, the agency's job post is misleading, to say the least.

Despite that, I too read the three (!) glowing reviews, all but one apparently coming from newbie translators with no experience whatsoever in literary translation other than that with this agency.

If you receive this or similarly worded job 'offers', please beware. Nobody in their right mind would work for such a degrading fee, let alone 'professional translators'.

[Edited at 2021-01-08 11:25 GMT]
Collapse

Elena Feriani
Elena Aclasto
Jo Macdonald
P.L.F. Persio
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Yvonne Gallagher

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
An update to my previous post Jan 8, 2021

After I posted my comment this morning, I contacted the support center about the job post I mentioned in it.
The answer I received states that 'It would seem that only the application for Italian has an already established pre-word [sic] fee, so the job posting has been edited to reflect this.'
So, the version currently available of said English-to-Italian job post no longer contains the misleading sentence of the original one.
Needless to say, the rate offered by the US
... See more
After I posted my comment this morning, I contacted the support center about the job post I mentioned in it.
The answer I received states that 'It would seem that only the application for Italian has an already established pre-word [sic] fee, so the job posting has been edited to reflect this.'
So, the version currently available of said English-to-Italian job post no longer contains the misleading sentence of the original one.
Needless to say, the rate offered by the US-based agency remains unchanged in the form potential applicants are required to fill in.
Collapse

Elena Feriani

Anne Gouzard
Anne Gouzard  Identity Verified
Japanese to French
+ ...
About the same job Jan 9, 2021

What surprises me also about this job add (literary translation) is that they ask for a headshot. It's the first time I see this. I even thought for a moment that this word "headshot" has another meaning because it seems so strange to ask for a headshot for translation of novels...
Well, now, after reading on this forum about their word price, I will just give up. In literary translation, the pricing is usually not based on words but on pages with a certain number of characters... Anyway.
... See more
What surprises me also about this job add (literary translation) is that they ask for a headshot. It's the first time I see this. I even thought for a moment that this word "headshot" has another meaning because it seems so strange to ask for a headshot for translation of novels...
Well, now, after reading on this forum about their word price, I will just give up. In literary translation, the pricing is usually not based on words but on pages with a certain number of characters... Anyway. I also worked with editors before and I always find strange those agencies that have books translation projects...
Thank you anyway for all the exchanges between translators, that help a lot !
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio

Jennifer Richmond
Jennifer Richmond  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2018)
Spanish to German
+ ...
That is the offer they get from people providing machine translation Feb 5, 2021

Elodie Marias wrote:

Hi everyone,

Regards,
Elodie.

You find an endless supply of self-proclaimed translators on platforms like Upwork, Fiverr oder Freelancer. The offer $0.02/word and then deliver a machine translation. I know some "profession fiction translators" that made $20k and more last year by delivering DeepL or Google translations.

So, $0.015 per source word is a rate these clients are offered often enough to believe they are realistic.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Literary Translation (ENG to FR) offered rates : too low ?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »