Philippe Danjoux
Philippe Danjoux  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 15:58
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
Nov 14, 2020

I've got some serious concern about an agency I've been working with for years. They always paid and they have always been pretty nice.

Since last year, though, I have some pending invoices and the manager does not reply at all to my emails. In one year time, I received only one or two evasive emails saying nothing about payment or the situation of the agency.

I have been working with the main person in this agency for over 10 years and I can't think of her as a dishone
... See more
I've got some serious concern about an agency I've been working with for years. They always paid and they have always been pretty nice.

Since last year, though, I have some pending invoices and the manager does not reply at all to my emails. In one year time, I received only one or two evasive emails saying nothing about payment or the situation of the agency.

I have been working with the main person in this agency for over 10 years and I can't think of her as a dishonest person. As a matter of fact, I've shown all the understanding I could show and I guess the present crisis has something to do with the whole situation, but this is the first time in my 20 years career that I have that sort of problem.

Being in one country and the agency in another, I do not know what I should do and I'd really like to hear from them. Do they face some difficulties right now? Have they definitely closed business?...

Trust is a must in our trade, but there has to be some limit to it, though, and I'm not clear where I should draw the line and what to do anyway, even on legal terms, to get paid.
Collapse

Hanneke Budianu

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:58
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Philippe Nov 14, 2020

Is it another country in the EU? You could try the small claims procedure if the amount is smaller than 5000 EUR (https://europa.eu/youreurope/business/dealing-with-customers/solving-disputes/european-small-claims-procedure/index_en.htm). Otherwise, I would contact a lawyer. That's what I did the only time I had a... See more
Is it another country in the EU? You could try the small claims procedure if the amount is smaller than 5000 EUR (https://europa.eu/youreurope/business/dealing-with-customers/solving-disputes/european-small-claims-procedure/index_en.htm). Otherwise, I would contact a lawyer. That's what I did the only time I had a non-payment issue with a client...Collapse

Philippe Danjoux

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Call the agency Nov 14, 2020

We’re all so used to emailing in our industry but it’s amazing how effective the most simple form of communication is.

Call the agency and talk to your project manager or another relevant person.

A simple call is a lot easier and may work out much better for you than getting lawyers involved etc.

Good luck!

Philippe Danjoux

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:58
Japanese to English
+ ...
Payment by a translation agency Nov 16, 2020

Hello Philippe,
Things change and you-know-what happens.
It helps to maintain a healthy scepticism and remind yourself of what one proz-member has posted in the past: "Clients are not friends".
A telephone call then followed by legal steps seem to be the best answer here. Good luck!

Dylan J Hartmann
Philippe Danjoux

María C Turri
María C Turri  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 10:58
Member (2019)
English to Spanish
You can always use the BB Nov 16, 2020

I understand you risk losing your client in case they "don't like" your posting a non-payment issue, but if there are several invoices due and no response on the other side, you are already working for free. If you don't get results with the phone call Dylan suggested, I would consider this. I've read it works, just remember you can't threaten (BB rules), you just post and wait. I'm sure it's a step no one really enjoys using, but it's there for a reason.

Philippe Danjoux
Hanneke Budianu
satish krishna itikela

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to get paid by a translation agency from another country

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »