do both agency and translator have to Share the loss ? by saying it is because of the poor quality
Thread poster: Eunike Angela
Eunike Angela
Eunike Angela
Indonesia
Local time: 19:57
English to Indonesian
Oct 26, 2020

Scam scam

I have received a message from pt*** in Taipei ,in Taiwan. I have signed the contract letter. Maybe it is unfortunate and dangerous. seems like an exploitation. The letter states that all losses should be imposed on me, all translators. For example, (i think they are their manipulative trick and lie) after they receive the finished translations , if they have a poor quality (it can be manipulative, they can pretend to say that all my translations are poor and not q
... See more
Scam scam

I have received a message from pt*** in Taipei ,in Taiwan. I have signed the contract letter. Maybe it is unfortunate and dangerous. seems like an exploitation. The letter states that all losses should be imposed on me, all translators. For example, (i think they are their manipulative trick and lie) after they receive the finished translations , if they have a poor quality (it can be manipulative, they can pretend to say that all my translations are poor and not qualified so i will have to pay their losses or compensate them). She said that ''lets see''. if our clients need them to be revised, go on. but if our clients pay less because of this poor quality, both of us have to share the loss. i think on my mind : but how can she prove that those real clients will say it is because of the poor quality ?? do you think she was lying ? she said, i can prove them by sending to you the emails from our clients. is it a strong proof ? i doubt it, i feel so worried, and it might be so bad
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:57
Member (2008)
Italian to English
WIthdraw immediately Oct 26, 2020

I would advise you to withdraw immediately from that contract and not to accept any work under its terms. It's too late for you to "unsign" the letter you've already signed but it's not too late to save your skin!

IrinaN
Christophe Delaunay
Emanuele Vacca
Aline Amorim
Yolanda Broad
Eunike Angela
P.L.F. Persio

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 07:57
English to Russian
+ ...
You are under no obligations whatsoever Oct 26, 2020

Every contract with freelancers contains a language to the effect that "we do not have to give you any work and you do not have to accept any work". Let them frame your signed letter and put it on the wall, if they wish, it's none of your concern. Tom is correct, DO NOT accept anything from them, period. Mark them as Spam:-)

Fatine Echenique
Mr. Satan (X)
Tom in London
Lidija Klemencic

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 13:57
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Check your work, and work with agencies that are confident in you Oct 26, 2020

I agree with Tom.
Agencies live by selling translations to end clients.

OK, the agencies may do the marketing, coordinate projects with more than one language, do the DTP work and a lot of other things, but you, the translator, supply the largest element of their product.
You are an important business partner - the agency depends on you.
Never simply accept vague stories that 'the translation was poor quality': ask to see in detail, not just e-mails, what precisel
... See more
I agree with Tom.
Agencies live by selling translations to end clients.

OK, the agencies may do the marketing, coordinate projects with more than one language, do the DTP work and a lot of other things, but you, the translator, supply the largest element of their product.
You are an important business partner - the agency depends on you.
Never simply accept vague stories that 'the translation was poor quality': ask to see in detail, not just e-mails, what precisely the client was not satisfied with. There may be questions, but sometimes the translator knows her own language better than the client! So it is usually possible to find a solution which will satisfy the client, and you should always be paid for your work.

When I worked in house, one of my colleagues was in charge of dealing with complaints. He talked to the client and found a solution, and he kept statistics. He also told the translators concerned whenever a client had complained or questioned their work.
The good news was that in the great majority of cases, my colleague convinced the client that there was really nothing to complain about. He explained why the translator had used a particular word or expression, and why they had NOT chosen what the client suggested. The translators usually knew their own language better than the client!

Occasionally my colleague made a third suggestion, so the client did not lose face if they were still not happy with the original translation. I remember one client did not like the word 'immaculate' used about shining glass. They thought only the Virgin Mary could be immaculate... but agreed that it was OK to call the glass brilliant instead.

Of course, there were occasionally real mistakes too, but if a solution could be found immediately, the client still had to pay the full price to the agency, and the translator was usually paid in full too.

Earlier this year, an agency asked me to translate some stories about real people for an exhibition at a museum. I did some research and took great care to use the correct terminology to match the historical period, and find the actual quotations where well-known people were referred to. Some English-speaking visitors would recognise them, so they had to be correct.
The client thought my version sounded ´old fashioned´, and wanted a more ´modern´ translation, but that was not what they had asked for from the start.
The agency defended my translation, and asked for a second opinion. I do not know whether they asked a translator or a museum expert, but the person said there was nothing wrong with my translation. It was not too difficult for readers who did hot have English as their first language, but it was a matter of taste - different translators produce different results.
I was paid in full, but the agency decided to find another translator for that particular client in future.
However, the agency has sent me quite a lot of work since, and we are still on the best of terms.

That is the kind of relationship you should aim for with agencies!
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
Angie Garbarino
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Mr. Satan (X)
Louanne Li
Aziz Madni

Eunike Angela
Eunike Angela
Indonesia
English to Indonesian
TOPIC STARTER
For sure for a dangerous & smooth fraud Oct 26, 2020

Thankyou so much Tom 😇, i am surely going to do. She said translators can end the contract anytime, no minimum periode for example a 1 year - contract (it might be for the case like the translators have signed the contract, hopefully). And anyone here, have you ever heard about this case ?

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
For realsies now? Oct 27, 2020

That sounds weird and dangerous. Translators should NOT be held responsible for the loss of an agency. At worst, you're not getting paid for failing to provide a satisfactory work result and nothing more.

And no, it's not normal to let the translators cancel a contract anytime they want (nor it's normal in any job for that matter). No companies would want to suddenly lose a translator when they are in a busy season, just because they feel like having a vacation. OTOH, they c
... See more
That sounds weird and dangerous. Translators should NOT be held responsible for the loss of an agency. At worst, you're not getting paid for failing to provide a satisfactory work result and nothing more.

And no, it's not normal to let the translators cancel a contract anytime they want (nor it's normal in any job for that matter). No companies would want to suddenly lose a translator when they are in a busy season, just because they feel like having a vacation. OTOH, they can dispatch the translators if the agency finds their work results to be subpar. But this is what the tests are for, so they can get an idea beforehand whether they like your translation or not.

I think you're just working for a dodgy agency. Another vote for withdraw immediately, if it's still possible.

[Edited at 2020-10-27 08:25 GMT]
Collapse

Eunike Angela
Eunike Angela
Indonesia
English to Indonesian
TOPIC STARTER
To end the contract Oct 27, 2020

Dispatch ? Do you mean they usually inform that they dont like our translation through email ? For example, what are things that will probably happen if i ask to end the contract but on the 1st week i work ? or is it possible if i deliberately deliver very poor translation and will i have the possible chance that they will end my contract with a force ?

Please let me know

Thankyou so much i really appreciate your advise 😇🙏

Eunike Angela
Eunike Angela
Indonesia
English to Indonesian
TOPIC STARTER
Withdraw from the contract ? Oct 27, 2020

Thankyou Tom and friends,

How can i withdraw from the contract that i have signed, Tom ? I need your advise for this.
Is it still possible for them to end my contract and the agreement if i will not receive or complete any work this week ? In order to leave this fraudulent work

Thankyou in advance 🙏😇

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
It's complicated Oct 30, 2020

Eunike Angela wrote:

Dispatch ? Do you mean they usually inform that they dont like our translation through email ? For example, what are things that will probably happen if i ask to end the contract but on the 1st week i work ? or is it possible if i deliberately deliver very poor translation and will i have the possible chance that they will end my contract with a force ?

Please let me know

Thankyou so much i really appreciate your advise 😇🙏

By that, I meant the agencies/clients will always have the upper-hand in the contract since they're the one who provide it. And us freelancers aren't usually given the same treatment. Maybe you can just single-handedly terminate the contract, but it'll surely hurt your reputation. Deliberately providing a poor translation is just an unnecessary kamikaze stunt, so don't do it. Remember that they'll charge you for failing to meet their expected results.

This is why...

Some advice
Don't think twice
Should've known I wasn't nice

And when you signed
That dotted line
You should have thought it through

[Edited at 2020-10-31 00:05 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-10-31 00:07 GMT]

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Japanese to English
Just don't work for them Oct 31, 2020

You don't have to withdraw from anything. Just don't accept any jobs from that client if/when they contact you. Very often you'll sign a contract and never hear from them again, but if they do get in touch, turn them down and let them know why.

Iris Schmerda
Angie Garbarino

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I agree with Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei Oct 31, 2020

Eunike Angela wrote:

Thankyou Tom and friends,

How can i withdraw from the contract that i have signed, Tom ? I need your advise for this.
Is it still possible for them to end my contract and the agreement if i will not receive or complete any work this week ? In order to leave this fraudulent work

Thankyou in advance 🙏😇

I agree with Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei - just don't accept any work from them. In fact: don't even reply to any of their emails. FORGET ABOUT THEM !

Angie Garbarino
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
IrinaN

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

do both agency and translator have to Share the loss ? by saying it is because of the poor quality

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »