Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]
Fake "translators" on Proz - report them?
Thread poster: Inez Ulrich
Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:47
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Wrong end of the stick Jun 8, 2020

Viesturs Lacis wrote:
Unfortunately, competing on price is pretty much unavoidable in an industry that is as fragmented as the translation and has a manifestly low bar of entry.

Fragmentation is good. It creates (or reflects) niches. A single monolithic market would make it impossible to differentiate, and that really would be bad. Fortunately, a single monolithic market is manifestly what we don't have.

Regards,
Dan

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Hah! Jun 8, 2020

Chris S wrote:
Does everyone drive a Dacia?

It took five years, but my insidious long-term campaign of automotive metaphors has finally converted (subverted?) Chris to their use!

My work here is done.

Dan

Thomas T. Frost
Christopher Schröder

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Hah -- good example Jun 8, 2020

Chris S wrote:

We chose a very cheap Dacia when we unexpectedly needed to buy a second car and could barely afford to do so.

Once we'd paid garages to replace its massively damaged tinfoil body parts after a few minor scrapes, we gave it to our son and bought a "proper" Renault.

Liviu-Lee Roth

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 02:47
Romanian to English
+ ...
Yes. I loved it! Jun 8, 2020

Chris S wrote:

Hahaha! My very first car, in 1982, was a Dacia 1100 (Renault model). Cheap, but functional! More reliable than the Trabant made of cardboard and plastic.

[Edited at 2020-06-08 19:58 GMT]

Yaotl Altan
writeaway

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 01:47
English to Russian
+ ...
My first car Jun 8, 2020

In 1992 was Oldsmobile Omega, I believe 197-something, $800, the worst model ever put on the market by Oldsmobile. "Check the engine" was ON 99% of the time, muffler pieces falling off etc etc. In a short while I had to pull forward the back of the back seat and discovered about 2 pounds of shattered glass, and then... I was told that the car has 5 welded bullet holes. Believe it or not, the title was clean. Ladies and gentlemen ... See more
In 1992 was Oldsmobile Omega, I believe 197-something, $800, the worst model ever put on the market by Oldsmobile. "Check the engine" was ON 99% of the time, muffler pieces falling off etc etc. In a short while I had to pull forward the back of the back seat and discovered about 2 pounds of shattered glass, and then... I was told that the car has 5 welded bullet holes. Believe it or not, the title was clean. Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I have witnesses!Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 07:47
English to Italian
Fake "translators" on Proz - report them? Jun 9, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:
On 26 March, I questioned a quasi-illiterate somebody who was obviously not a translator from the word go:
https://www.proz.com/forum/spanish/342428-¿que_cobrar_por_la_traducción_de_un_libro.html
One of my comments was outed, a site rule was quoted (Mutual respect, professionalism and fair play are expected) - get that irony - and the oaf concerned was allowed to laugh at all of us. Get the message? Anything goes. Someone who pops in on spec is more important.

this folk is no more on Proz, so maybe your intervention was useful & successful...

Inez Ulrich
Inez Ulrich  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:47
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Jun 9, 2020

gosh, I didn't have time to come here to check answers the last few days...really didn't expect this! I'll need a few days to get through this thread, guys!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fake "translators" on Proz - report them?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »