Jeremy Powell
Jeremy Powell
Spain
Local time: 02:44
English
+ ...
May 11, 2020

Hello.
I just found a short "English Recording" job (record myself speaking in English) for about 1 hour and a half.
I am used to translating or transcribing, so I have no idea what to charge for this. I know I will take some extra time to read and practice the text out loud before recording and sending it so...
Any advice would be appreciated!!

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:44
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
All I know May 11, 2020

Jeremy Powell wrote:
I just found a short "English Recording" job (record myself speaking in English) for about 1 hour and a half.
I am used to translating or transcribing, so I have no idea what to charge for this. I know I will take some extra time to read and practice the text out loud before recording and sending it so...

You mean the finished audio will run for an hour and a half? That's an enormous length of time!

The only experience I've had was about 20 years ago in a small but professional setup, recording the English commentary for our local "petit train" for tourists in France. Each segment was just a few lines of simple stuff along the lines of "On your left now is ...". I don't remember the overall volume of words but it took hours. I wasn't allowed to falter in any way at all, pause too long or too little between sentences, drop a "t", let my intonation get a bit flat... Neither was I allowed to change anything, although in the end I did manage to get "penitentiary" changed to the British English "prison". That was after I'd stumbled over the unfamiliar word dozens of times.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fee for English recording job

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »