Páginas sobre el tema:   [1 2] >
Rates per character
Autor de la hebra: Karen Vincent-Jones (X)
Karen Vincent-Jones (X)
Karen Vincent-Jones (X)  Identity Verified
Reino Unido
Local time: 17:21
francés al inglés
+ ...
Apr 2, 2014

I have been asked to provide a quote for a Portuguese translation based on 1,000 characters with spaces. The total number of characters including spaces is 300,000.
I have no idea how to do this as I have always charged per word.
Can anyone help with this?

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Turquía
Local time: 19:21
Miembro 2007
turco al inglés
+ ...
Questions Apr 2, 2014

What is the total number of words in the same document?

What is your per word rate?

Karen Vincent-Jones (X)
Reino Unido
francés al inglés
+ ...
PERSONA QUE INICIÓ LA HEBRA
I only have the number of characters Apr 2, 2014

If I knew how many words there were in the document I would have no problem, but unfortunately I have not yet seen it, and I only have the total number of characters. Is there an accepted equivalence between characters and words? i.e. does 1,000 characters come out at 'x' number of words?

Susie Rawson
Susie Rawson  Identity Verified
Argentina
Miembro 2014
español al inglés
+ ...
Characters per word Apr 2, 2014

I don´t know if there´s a universal average correspondence between amount of characters and words (there probably is), but just as an example, I have a Word file which is 50,340 characters and 8,904 words. This amounts to an average of 5,65 characters per word, which makes sense to me.

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Turquía
Miembro 2007
turco al inglés
+ ...
Rates Dilemna Apr 2, 2014

I am strongly pro-word rather than pro-character. I always give my rate as per word. Therefore, I do not support per character rate at all. When a company asks me for my per character rate, I give them my per word rate instead. As you can see, I am trying to promote per word rate the best I can, and this is what I can recommend. Even ProZ gives per word rates (Community Rates). By the way, I do not know of any conversion between words and characters.

philgoddard
philgoddard
Estados Unidos
alemán al inglés
+ ...
I agree with Atil. Apr 2, 2014

But why don't you just ask the client how many words it is? They're presumably interested in the total price, not how you arrive at it. And if you try to guess the wordcount of such a large job, you risk miscalculating and getting your fingers burned.

[Edited at 2014-04-02 18:03 GMT]

Karen Vincent-Jones (X)
Reino Unido
francés al inglés
+ ...
Word rate unknown Apr 2, 2014

Unfortunately the client does not know the word rate (yes, I find this hard to believe too) Though as the language in question is Portuguese, basing a quote on characters might be to my advantage, as Portuguese words tend to be longer than English words. Having said that, Portuguese tends to use ten words when three would be quite sufficient.

Karen Vincent-Jones (X)
Reino Unido
francés al inglés
+ ...
Division gives 2 separate results Apr 2, 2014

I have tried using a sample of text of and dividing the number of characters by the number of words, but I get 2 different results depending on which calculator I use- either 6.448 or 6.551 I don't understand this, so I don't know which I should use as a basis.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 10:21
inglés al español
+ ...
In Memoriam
See the text Apr 2, 2014

From what I gather you have not even seen the text to be translated. It is not a good idea to quote any job until you have seen it in its entirety.

Andriy Bublikov
Andriy Bublikov  Identity Verified
Ucrania
francés al ruso
+ ...

Moderador de este foro
Here is the formula Apr 2, 2014

Karen Vincent-Jones wrote:

Unfortunately the client does not know the word rate (yes, I find this hard to believe too) Though as the language in question is Portuguese, basing a quote on characters might be to my advantage, as Portuguese words tend to be longer than English words. Having said that, Portuguese tends to use ten words when three would be quite sufficient.

Hi Karen,

No problem with calculating.

Here is the formula: 1 page ≈ 250 words = 1800 with spaces.

Page count: 300,000 /1800 = 166 pages.

Word count: 166 pages X 250 words = 41500 words.

So 300,000 characters with spaces = 41500 words.

I agree with Henry.

“It is not a good idea to quote any job until you have seen it in its entirety.”

Good luck

[Edited at 2014-04-02 18:41 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-04-02 18:41 GMT]

Karen Vincent-Jones (X)
Reino Unido
francés al inglés
+ ...
Thank you Andriy! Apr 2, 2014

That is helpful, Andriy! And yes, thank you for the warning Henry. In fact I have now asked the client to send me a sample of the document.
And thank you to everyone who has taken the trouble to reply.
I hope I can render similar service myself in the future.

Susie Rawson
Susie Rawson  Identity Verified
Argentina
Miembro 2014
español al inglés
+ ...
Furthermore Apr 2, 2014

A question for Andriy: how do we calculate amount of characters without spaces versus word or page? What's for formula for that?

[Edited at 2014-04-02 19:48 GMT]

felicij
felicij  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:21
alemán al esloveno
+ ...
Like Andriy said... Apr 2, 2014

...only in Slovenian we use the next formula:
1500 chracters (without spaces, which equals 1800 chars with spaces) = 25 lines (for some German clients) = 250 words = 1 page.
So if the client says I have 17 pages to translate, the amount of chars without spaces is 17 x 1500 = 25500 = 4250 words = 425 lines.
Simple math...

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
checo al francés
+ ...
The characters/words ratio depends on the language! Apr 3, 2014

I have calculated words/normalized page on several samples for all languages that concern me, and the figures for English and French were much higher than 250 - 281 and 289 respectively. I found figures around 250 for languages with no articles or post-positive articles ("stuck" to the word, thus not increasing the number of words) - Czech, Bulgarian and Romanian.

[Edited at 2014-04-03 08:47 GMT]

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Miembro 2006
español al neerlandés
+ ...
Ask for the text Apr 4, 2014

I agree with Henry. Tell them to send you the text and count the words. How hard can that be?

Páginas sobre el tema:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates per character

Pastey
Your smart companion app

Pastey is an innovative desktop application that bridges the gap between human expertise and artificial intelligence. With intuitive keyboard shortcuts, Pastey transforms your source text into AI-powered draft translations.

Find out more »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »