Proofreading workflow in MemoQ packages - how to avoid proofing reps?
Thread poster: Neil Allen
Neil Allen
Neil Allen  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:34
French to English
Feb 18, 2021

Good morning,

I have a question concerning proofreading workflow in MemoQ.

My difficulty is caused specifically when working with MemoQ packages, where the "reviewer 1" and "reviewer 2" statuses are locked and only the "translator" status is available.

Imagine I have a project of 50,000 words with 20,000 repetitions. I translate the project and the repetitions are auto-propagated.

Now I want to proofread the entirety of my translation, but I do
... See more
Good morning,

I have a question concerning proofreading workflow in MemoQ.

My difficulty is caused specifically when working with MemoQ packages, where the "reviewer 1" and "reviewer 2" statuses are locked and only the "translator" status is available.

Imagine I have a project of 50,000 words with 20,000 repetitions. I translate the project and the repetitions are auto-propagated.

Now I want to proofread the entirety of my translation, but I do not want to proofread more than one instance of repeated segments.

Normally, I would switch the "confirm" status to something other than "translator", but in pre-prepared packages, the other two options are locked. So the only way around this, that I can see, would be to create a view excluding repetitions other than the first instance. The trouble with that is that (I think) any changes made to repeated segments will not auto-propagate because I am working in a view that excludes them. I would then have to rely on QA or an external tool such as XBench to find incoherences and correct them.

Surely, there must be a better way of doing this, and I am sure I must be missing something simple.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thank you,
--
Neil
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Create a view Feb 18, 2021

First question is whether you have propagation enabled, and also good Go To Next settings so that you jump automatically to the next segment. With Autopropagation on and the right Go To Next settings, you needn't worry about the repetitions: they will be confirmed automatically when you review the first one. Drop a line here if you need info on how to check these settings.

Another approach is to create a view containing repeated items only. In the "Create View" dialog box, choose "A
... See more
First question is whether you have propagation enabled, and also good Go To Next settings so that you jump automatically to the next segment. With Autopropagation on and the right Go To Next settings, you needn't worry about the repetitions: they will be confirmed automatically when you review the first one. Drop a line here if you need info on how to check these settings.

Another approach is to create a view containing repeated items only. In the "Create View" dialog box, choose "Advanced options", then enable Minimum frequency, enter 2 as the value (means that you will see anything that is repeated once or more), and disable Keep duplicates. With this, you can review the repetitions only. Once this is done, you can delete the view and go revise the rest.
Collapse

Neil Allen
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Segments are already confirmed Feb 18, 2021

Hi Tomás,

Thanks for your reply. The problem I have is that the segments are already confirmed. If I could change my status to "reviewer 1", I would do so, but I can't because this is a package and this option is greyed out.

I am talking about the specific situation where I might want to proof a set of segments that are already confirmed and have any changes propagated automatically. Without changing the status of the confirming person, there is no way for MemoQ to kno
... See more
Hi Tomás,

Thanks for your reply. The problem I have is that the segments are already confirmed. If I could change my status to "reviewer 1", I would do so, but I can't because this is a package and this option is greyed out.

I am talking about the specific situation where I might want to proof a set of segments that are already confirmed and have any changes propagated automatically. Without changing the status of the confirming person, there is no way for MemoQ to know where to jump to.

I think I will just create the view as you suggested as I can see no other way to do this.

Thanks,

Neil
Collapse

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Did you translate it? Feb 18, 2021

If this is your translation, you can revert the status of all segments to Edited (in the translation grid, tab Preparation, icon Change Segment Status) and start from the beginning. Autopropagation will take care of your repetitions.

Elena Feriani
Grigori Gazarian

Neil Allen
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
I think that's what I need, thanks. Feb 18, 2021

Wonderful, Tomás, that will do exactly what I need!

Thank you again for your prompt replies.

Neil

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Great! Feb 18, 2021

I am glad it is useful!

Neil Allen
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Related problem Feb 18, 2021

A related problem arises as follows:

Let's say I am doing a large translation and I have translated and proofread 5000 words and their repeated segments.

Now I want to translate another 5000 and then proofread them, without changing the ones I have already proofread.

My initial thought was to lock the ones I have already proofread, but the lock function is disabled in MemoQ packages (unless there is some way to reactivate it).

This means that i
... See more
A related problem arises as follows:

Let's say I am doing a large translation and I have translated and proofread 5000 words and their repeated segments.

Now I want to translate another 5000 and then proofread them, without changing the ones I have already proofread.

My initial thought was to lock the ones I have already proofread, but the lock function is disabled in MemoQ packages (unless there is some way to reactivate it).

This means that if I change the "translated" segments to "edited" again, even if I do it only after a segment comment, I can see no way to avoid changing the subsequent repeated and propagated segments that have already been proofread.

On a further point, is it normal that someone with a full licence should have to work with what is essentially a crippled version of MemoQ when dealing with packages? All the functionality I need is there, but not when I am working with packages.

Is this normal?

Thanks,

Neil
Collapse

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Propagate only forwards and disabling autopropagation whenever you need Feb 18, 2021

Neil Allen wrote:

You can modify the autopropagation options to:
- Propagate only forwards, so that any changes you do further down in the file do not affect the segments you have proofread already.
- Disable propagation temporarily to make a particular context-related change in a segment without affecting the rest.

It all is in the Translation tab, Translation Settings button, Auto-Propagation.

Neil Allen
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Still no way to distinguish translated and proofread segments from translated but not proofread? Feb 18, 2021

Thanks. However, I still don't see how to distinguish only those translated segments I want to proofread from the translated segments I have already proofread, since there is no way to change the status without changing all of them (unless I am mistaken)

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
You can change the status of the segments you want Feb 18, 2021

Neil Allen wrote:
Thanks. However, I still don't see how to distinguish only those translated segments I want to proofread from the translated segments I have already proofread, since there is no way to change the status without changing all of them (unless I am mistaken)

Oh, you can change the status of just the segments you wish, either by simply selecting a range of segments (click the first one; scroll to the second one and Shift-Click that) or by filtering segments by their contents and selecting the filtered segments and then using the Change Status feature.

Neil Allen
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Ok, will have to do that Feb 18, 2021

Ok, I will have to try and work around this like that.

Do you know if it is possible to ask the project manager not to put these restrictions on a package or does this happen by default?

Thank you,

Neil

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proofreading workflow in MemoQ packages - how to avoid proofing reps?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »