Thread poster: Kirill Loktionov
Kirill Loktionov
Kirill Loktionov
Hungary
Local time: 16:34
English to Russian
+ ...
Jan 26, 2021

Hi! I got a huge list of expressions translated. Is there a way to import auto-translatables into MemoQ from text files? Excel maybe? .csv? Or to convert such files into .mqres for later import?

Johan Kjallman
Johan Kjallman  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Yes, export and reimport mqres Jan 26, 2021

Hi,

the quick and dirty answer is yes, you can do something like this (it was several years since I last tried, but should work fine):

- Create an auto-translation ruleset in memoQ with at least one entry
- Export as mqres file
- Prepare the entries that you want to import in the format shown in the screenshot (ruined when pasted into the topic body)

Skärmavbild 2021-01-26 kl. 18.44.30

If you know some regex, I guess you will be able to convert your current format to this format quite easily in a text editor. Otherwise you could use the =CONCATENATE function in Microsoft Excel to add the surrounding tags.

Then just paste your new rules into the mqres file in a text editor such as Notepad++ after the existing rule(s) and reimport.

Hope that helps!

/Johan

[Edited at 2021-01-26 17:45 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-01-26 17:46 GMT]

Grigori Gazarian
Kirill Loktionov

Kirill Loktionov
Kirill Loktionov
Hungary
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Imported Jan 29, 2021

Thanks Johan! You did it. I had a two-column Excel file and the command =B1&A1 helped me. Though I had to think smth over and add extra symbols before, between, and after the translatables (using =""&B1&""&A1&"") for future replacement to suit the .mqres file 'operators'. Moreover, I had to change some symbols like < or & in the source as they are not allowed in regex at all I guess. MemoQ pointed at them during failed import.

Péter Tófalvi
Péter Tófalvi  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
A more simple solution Oct 14, 2021

You should have your list as a single column in Excel.
Just insert an additional column both in the left and right side, then fill the left (first) column with and the right column with .
Select all, and paste them in your .mqres file as appropriate.
Finally, do a Search&Replace to remove unnecessary tabs and spaces.
You have to replace >(space) with > and (space)< with <
You may need to repeat this Search&Replace if you have triple. quadruple etc. spaces... unti
... See more
You should have your list as a single column in Excel.
Just insert an additional column both in the left and right side, then fill the left (first) column with and the right column with .
Select all, and paste them in your .mqres file as appropriate.
Finally, do a Search&Replace to remove unnecessary tabs and spaces.
You have to replace >(space) with > and (space)< with <
You may need to repeat this Search&Replace if you have triple. quadruple etc. spaces... until you get 0 instances replaced.

Sorry, this was for Non-translatables.
For Auto-translatables you can do something similar.

[Edited at 2021-10-14 17:32 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Import of auto-translatable rules

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »