Segment after TAB tag in bilingual Excel file
Thread poster: Jalapeno
Jalapeno
Jalapeno
Local time: 18:22
English to German
Jun 12, 2020

Hi there,

I have a bilingual Excel file that I need to translate in memoQ. Source text in column A, target text with some existing translations in column B, context information in column C. I've managed to import that perfectly with one little exception:

Some of the source strings start with the name of a person followed by a colon followed by a TAB tag followed by what the person says. After import, this shows up in memoQ like this:

Speaker:TABThis is what
... See more
Hi there,

I have a bilingual Excel file that I need to translate in memoQ. Source text in column A, target text with some existing translations in column B, context information in column C. I've managed to import that perfectly with one little exception:

Some of the source strings start with the name of a person followed by a colon followed by a TAB tag followed by what the person says. After import, this shows up in memoQ like this:

Speaker:TABThis is what the speaker says.

I want it to show up like this:

Segment 1 - Speaker:
Segment 2 - This is what the speaker says.

I've tried playing around with segmentation rules and filters, but I can't get it to work.

Any memoQ / RegEx wizards with bright ideas around?

Thanks in advance for any help

[Edited at 2020-06-12 13:17 GMT]
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:22
English to French
A pity it's not a Word file Jun 12, 2020

To split segments at tabs in a Word file:
Import with options
Change filter and configuration
General tab > Special Characters pane > Tab drop-down list > Start new segment

But it's an Excel file, and there isn't any similar option in my v.2013 R2 version...

Philippe

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Segment after TAB tag in bilingual Excel file

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »