memoQ crashes regularly maybe because of TM - possible solution?
Thread poster: espoir03
espoir03
espoir03
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
May 10, 2019

Hello,

I encounter this problem when I work on a certain project in memoQ.
When am working on memoQ, my PC suddenly freezes, shows blue screen with white letters.
When I restart the computer, launch memoQ and open the project I was working on, TM connection shows orange error (usually when TM is linked to the project it shows green checkmark) as attached screen.
TM is completely broken, so I need to create new TM, link to that TM for the project.

This issue happen to me regularly (once every 2 to 3 months to once every 6 months) but ALWAYS happens when I am working on a certain project (with lots of TM) only. When I work on other projects, I don't encounter this problem at all. Also, this problem happens only when I am working on my laptop. I have never had this problem when I use memoQ installed on my desktop.

Of course I take backup of TM regularly so I can always solve the problem by myself but if possible, I don't want this repeated problem to happen anymore.

Have you experienced same issue? Does anyone know how to solve this problem?
I use memoQ 2014 on Windows 7.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Akiko

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:43
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Two ideas May 10, 2019

This smells to me like lack of memory in the computer. Is there a difference in RAM between your laptop and your desktop machine?

Also, I think it would pay for you to upgrade your memoQ to the current version. It is probably not a good idea to keep using a piece of software that is that old as you do not have any support available anymore...

espoir03
espoir03
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
using laptop temporary May 10, 2019

Tomas,

Many thanks for your swift reply.
I am currently using laptop temporary because I just moved to a different country and haven't set up my office space (with desktop) yet.
However, I shall set up my desktop soon and I will compare the RAM status.

With regard to memoQ version, I will definitely contact memoQ support and ask the same question.
I do know memoQ has latest version and can upgrade with a fee, but I looked at memoQ latest version interf
... See more
Tomas,

Many thanks for your swift reply.
I am currently using laptop temporary because I just moved to a different country and haven't set up my office space (with desktop) yet.
However, I shall set up my desktop soon and I will compare the RAM status.

With regard to memoQ version, I will definitely contact memoQ support and ask the same question.
I do know memoQ has latest version and can upgrade with a fee, but I looked at memoQ latest version interface and found it quite confusing. That is why I did not choose to upgrade....

Akiko
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:43
Danish to English
+ ...
Sounds like too old everything May 10, 2019

If you get the blue screen of death, it's not a MemoQ crash, but a Windows crash – which could be caused by a plethora of issues. RAM shortage wouldn't normally make a PC crash, but there could be faulty disk sectors, corrupted files and all sorts of software and driver problems on such an old laptop. If it has Windows 7, it is most likely close to retirement age, as Windows 8 (yuk) came out in 2012. Windows 7 will no longer receive updates from 2020. As Tomás already said, MemoQ 2014 is no l... See more
If you get the blue screen of death, it's not a MemoQ crash, but a Windows crash – which could be caused by a plethora of issues. RAM shortage wouldn't normally make a PC crash, but there could be faulty disk sectors, corrupted files and all sorts of software and driver problems on such an old laptop. If it has Windows 7, it is most likely close to retirement age, as Windows 8 (yuk) came out in 2012. Windows 7 will no longer receive updates from 2020. As Tomás already said, MemoQ 2014 is no longer supported.

In theory, it should still work, but the time needed to find and solve the cause may not be worth it. I strongly suggest getting both hardware and software up to date. MemoQ v. 8 isn't radically different from v. 2014. I haven't had a single crash or freeze after upgrading to a high-performance laptop with Windows 10 last year, and I'm always at the newest MemoQ version (which has the downside that when an upgrade breaks something, I'm also amongst the first impacted).
Collapse

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 04:43
Chinese to English
+ ...
Installation directory and permissions May 10, 2019

If you have MemoQ installed in your Program Files/Program Files (x86) folder, it may be useful to right-click the Kilgray folder, uncheck the Read-only box, and apply the settings. You'll need administrator privilege.

I used to have severe issues retrieving translation memory in a project, but things have gotten much faster with much fewer errors ever since I did this. I don't know why.

You can also try doing the same thing for the TM folder (in ProgramData - you will n
... See more
If you have MemoQ installed in your Program Files/Program Files (x86) folder, it may be useful to right-click the Kilgray folder, uncheck the Read-only box, and apply the settings. You'll need administrator privilege.

I used to have severe issues retrieving translation memory in a project, but things have gotten much faster with much fewer errors ever since I did this. I don't know why.

You can also try doing the same thing for the TM folder (in ProgramData - you will need to set Windows to show hidden folders), though it may not be necessary.

[Edited at 2019-05-10 14:38 GMT]
Collapse

Andrea Baggetto
Andrea Baggetto
Italy
Japanese to Italian
+ ...
Try using the "repair" command May 15, 2019

When a TM shows an orange error, you can repair it by using the "repair TM" command (I guess you can access this command by right-clicking with the mouse). The system will prompt you to choose a folder where a backup file will be saved. Then you will need to restart MemoQ in order to see the green checkmark.
This will at least save you the nuisance of creating a brand new TM from scratch every time.
Sometimes this kind of error is caused by special characters or symbols used in Japan
... See more
When a TM shows an orange error, you can repair it by using the "repair TM" command (I guess you can access this command by right-clicking with the mouse). The system will prompt you to choose a folder where a backup file will be saved. Then you will need to restart MemoQ in order to see the green checkmark.
This will at least save you the nuisance of creating a brand new TM from scratch every time.
Sometimes this kind of error is caused by special characters or symbols used in Japanese, when Japanese is the target Language. Using full-with characters or symbols instead of "English" ones has sometimes solved the issue for me.
I hope this is of help.
Collapse

espoir03
espoir03
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Thomas May 16, 2019

Thomas,

Many thanks for your advice.
Following your comment I contacted memoQ support and asked about price for upgrade and details about differences between memoQ 2014 and the latest one.

Akiko

espoir03
espoir03
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Lincoln May 16, 2019

Lincoln,

Many thanks. I tried to do it but according to my research, it looks we can't apply Read-only for "folder"?
I tried many times already but the blue checkbox never disappears... I believe Read-only is applied for files within the folder, right?

Lincoln Hui
Hong Kong
Chinese to English
+ ...
Uncheck May 17, 2019

Uncheck the read only box, which is checked in your screenshot, click OK and allow the setting to be applied across all subfolders and files in it.

There is indeed no way to make sure it stays unchecked permanently, but doing this once MAY help alleviate certain issues.

espoir03
espoir03
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Andrea May 17, 2019

Andrea,

Many thanks. Indeed, when I contacted memoQ support, they suggested "repair TM" command as well.
I also think you are right about combination with alphabetic character and non-alphabetic character (such as Japanese) is problematic.

I just tried but may I know what is TMX dump file about?

espoir03
espoir03
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Unchecking - Lincoln May 17, 2019

Lincoln,

Many thanks for your kind support.
Actually, I unchecked many times but every time I open the Program Files again, it is always checked as blue....
I am the only person using this computer, so I should have administrator privilege.

Akiko

Lincoln Hui
Hong Kong
Chinese to English
+ ...
Normal May 17, 2019

That's normal. What matters is that you've done it once and have the setting applied across the entire folder and all its files.

I'm not guaranteeing anything, it's just that doing this did help me when loading TMs and it may or may not work for you.

Basically, if you applied the changes and things improved, great. If things don't improve, then you have to look for another solution.

[Edited at 2019-05-17 20:30 GMT]

espoir03
espoir03
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Lincoln - read-only May 22, 2019

Hi Lincoln,

I see, thanks.
I already applied this change and am hoping this crash would never happen again.

Akiko

Andrea Baggetto
Andrea Baggetto
Italy
Japanese to Italian
+ ...
Dump file may be a sort of "backup file" May 22, 2019

Dear Akiko,
I guess (but I'm not 100% sure) that this so-called dump file is a sort of "backup file".
Before repairing (i.e. modifying) the broken TM, Memoq stores a copy of the original .tmx file for the sake of safety.
If the repairing process spoils the entire file, a copy of the original TM is available for a further troubleshooting.
Andrea

espoir03
espoir03
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Andrea - all good now May 24, 2019

Andrea,

Many thanks for your support. Grazie mille!
I could now recover the TM fully! I'm quite impressed.
I should have asked this forum long ago....!

Akiko

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

memoQ crashes regularly maybe because of TM - possible solution?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »