Zeki Güler
Zeki Güler  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:42
Member (2012)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Jan 27, 2019

Hi guys,

I received a project form my client in ".txlf" format and was told that to get the new files to work, I need to add "*.txlf;" to the beginning of the list of wildcard file extension types I have under "XLIFF" in my File Settings/Project Template.

Now, I even cannot import the files with .txlf extension into Memoq, as Memoq cannot see those files although there in my folder.

I tried adding it in "Filter configurations" but it doesn't work, probably
... See more
Hi guys,

I received a project form my client in ".txlf" format and was told that to get the new files to work, I need to add "*.txlf;" to the beginning of the list of wildcard file extension types I have under "XLIFF" in my File Settings/Project Template.

Now, I even cannot import the files with .txlf extension into Memoq, as Memoq cannot see those files although there in my folder.

I tried adding it in "Filter configurations" but it doesn't work, probably because there isn't an XLIFF filter therein.

How to do it?

Looking forward,
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:42
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Zeki Jan 27, 2019

Zeki Güler wrote:

1. Which version of MemoQ are you using?
2. Are you sure the client's instructions are for setting up a filter in MemoQ?

(I'm not a regular MemoQ user, but I have MemoQ installed and I tried some googling to get to the bottom of this, but I'm as baffled as you are. One can add a new XLIFF filter for TXLF files by clicking the "Resources" button at the very top left of MemoQ (the icon looks like a file-o-fax), and then selecting "Filter configurations" and then "Create New", but I'm stumped because there's nowhere where you can tell MemoQ to use the file extension ".txlf" for that filter.)

Andriy Yasharov
Andriy Yasharov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 22:42
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
It works fine Jan 27, 2019

I have just checked and it works fine in memoQ 8.7.6.

The procedure is as follows:

New Project → Import with options → Select "All files" in the drop-down menu of the File Explorer → Select a txlf file to import → Click "Open" → Select XLIFF filter from the drop-down menu → Click OK → Click Finish.

The file gets imported with all the tags displayed properly.

[Edited at 2019-01-27 10:33 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Matthias Kavuttih

Zeki Güler
Member (2012)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No txlf in drop down menu Jan 27, 2019

Thanks you guys,

Andriy,

I use 2014 R2 version.

But there is no txlf file available in the drop down menu. My Memoq doesn’t recognize this format and unable to see the txlf files for some reason.

Any further idea?

Andriy Yasharov
Andriy Yasharov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 22:42
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
It must work no matter the version Jan 27, 2019

Zeki Güler wrote:
But there is no txlf file available in the drop down menu.

Of course there isn't. However, a txlf file is just an xliff file, the fact that can be proved by opening this kind of file with a text editor. You will see the following in the header: ?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"? xliff version="1.2" xmlns="urn:oasis:names:tc:xliff:document:1.2" xmlns:gs4tr="http://www.gs4tr.org/schema/xliff-ext"

So, use "Import with options", select "All files" in the drop-down menu of the file explorer (not "All supported files") so you can see all the files available in the file explorer window, select and open your txlf file and select XLIFF filter in the drop-down menu of the filters and click OK and then Finish.

Screenshot_11.jpg

[Edited at 2019-01-27 11:11 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Zeki Güler
Luigi Carletti

Zeki Güler
Member (2012)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It works indeed Jan 27, 2019

Great! it works indeed Andriy

Many thanks for your help guys.

Cheers,

Lilian Brogna Staniscia
Lilian Brogna Staniscia  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:42
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Exporting Issues Jun 20, 2020

Does anyone else have issues when exporting txlf files with lots of tags? Usually files are not recognized by other CATs, like WF...

Lin Zhang

Kelly Khaw
Kelly Khaw  Identity Verified
Malaysia
Local time: 04:42
English to Malay
+ ...
XLIFF filter no longer consistent with the latest MemoQ May 10, 2021

The XLIFF filter no longer works every time on my new computer with the latest MemoQ. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. Does anyone know how to go about this?

Anyone else facing this same problem? Thanks.

Matthias Kavuttih
Matthias Kavuttih  Identity Verified
Kenya
Local time: 23:42
English to Swahili
4 years later and the solution still works Mar 23, 2023

Andriy Yasharov wrote:

I have just checked and it works fine in memoQ 8.7.6.

The procedure is as follows:

New Project → Import with options → Select "All files" in the drop-down menu of the File Explorer → Select a txlf file to import → Click "Open" → Select XLIFF filter from the drop-down menu → Click OK → Click Finish.

The file gets imported with all the tags displayed properly.

[Edited at 2019-01-27 10:33 GMT]

4 years later, and your solution is still relevant! Thank you for this suggestion! I had gone into panic mode because the client is not available to send a more "friendly" file and the deadline is the morning. You are a savior!

Andriy Yasharov

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I can't import files in .txlf format

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »