Interpreters in Malaysian magistrates courts
Thread poster: tomima (X)
tomima (X)
tomima (X)
Local time: 22:16
Mar 5, 2009

I would be truly grateful if anyone knows the answer to these questions:
1. do interpreters in Malaysian magistrates courts have to be officially recognised or engaged by the court?
2. does the interpreter have to work between Bahasa Malaysia and the foreign language or is English-FL interpretation allowed?
3. If the interpretation has to include Bahasa, can two interpreters be used (BM/ English, English/FL)?

I am asking in relation to the case of a young Thai girl
... See more
I would be truly grateful if anyone knows the answer to these questions:
1. do interpreters in Malaysian magistrates courts have to be officially recognised or engaged by the court?
2. does the interpreter have to work between Bahasa Malaysia and the foreign language or is English-FL interpretation allowed?
3. If the interpretation has to include Bahasa, can two interpreters be used (BM/ English, English/FL)?

I am asking in relation to the case of a young Thai girl who has been detained on a charge of working illegally while on a social visit pass. The court hearing has been adjourned twice because 'no interpreter was available.' The next hearing has been set for 22 April which will mean that the girl will have spent three months in detention- and, as far as I can see, there is no guarantee that there will be an interpreter in attendance even then. On the last occasion the court did ask for an interpreter from Putrajaya (the girl is not being held in KL). There was no show probably because there are so few Thai interpreters and other “higher courts” would have precedence.
We are currently trying to advance the date of the hearing and at the same time attempting to secure the services of an interpreter ourselves.
I am a retired language professional but new to this forum so please excuse my naivety.
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Interpreters in Malaysian magistrates courts

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »