Daniel Salinero
Daniel Salinero  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:17
Member (2012)
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 9, 2020

I just purchased a DeepL Pro subscription and downloaded the DeepL plugin for my Trados 2019. I live in the US, so I have been using the DeepL web-based translator when I use MT. What I enjoy a lot about the web-based DeepL translator is that I can place my cursor in front of a word and a list of synonyms and alternate translations appear. I don't seem to have that benefit when I use DeepL within Trados 2019. Is there a setting I should choose in order to have that functionality within Trados 20... See more
I just purchased a DeepL Pro subscription and downloaded the DeepL plugin for my Trados 2019. I live in the US, so I have been using the DeepL web-based translator when I use MT. What I enjoy a lot about the web-based DeepL translator is that I can place my cursor in front of a word and a list of synonyms and alternate translations appear. I don't seem to have that benefit when I use DeepL within Trados 2019. Is there a setting I should choose in order to have that functionality within Trados 2019? Either way, I'm really happy that these subscriptions are now available here in the US and Canada.

Thank you,
Daniel Salinero
Indio, California
Collapse

Elizabeth Downham

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Local time: 11:17
Member (2011)
English to German
[email protected] May 10, 2020

Hi Daniel,

If you don't receive an answer here, you can contact [email protected]

Hope this helps,
Marina

Daniel Salinero

Daniel Salinero
United States
Member (2012)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! May 10, 2020

Thank you. I should have thought of that! Lol.

Daniel Salinero
United States
Member (2012)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Disappointed a bit May 11, 2020

Well, my question was not answered. I received a reply from DeepL support as you can see below. It looks like a set reply. They didn't address my question at all. Hopefully, someone who uses Trados 2019 and DeepL will be able to help.

This is most of their reply:
Dear Daniel,

Thank you for your message. We are also happy that we could finally launch DeepL Pro in the US and Canada.
In fact, we plan to extend the new functionality to our other applications su
... See more
Well, my question was not answered. I received a reply from DeepL support as you can see below. It looks like a set reply. They didn't address my question at all. Hopefully, someone who uses Trados 2019 and DeepL will be able to help.

This is most of their reply:
Dear Daniel,

Thank you for your message. We are also happy that we could finally launch DeepL Pro in the US and Canada.
In fact, we plan to extend the new functionality to our other applications such as API, documents and desktop application and are already working on it so that we can release it as soon as possible.

We regularly announce news about our company and new features on our website and in social media.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:17
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Daniel May 11, 2020

Daniel Salinero wrote:
What I enjoy a lot about the web-based DeepL translator is that I can place my cursor in front of a word and a list of synonyms and alternate translations appear. I don't seem to have that benefit when I use DeepL within Trados 2019. Is there a setting I should choose in order to have that functionality within Trados 2019?

I did not answer immediately because I was hoping for a more authoritative answer, but my initial reaction was to doubt if such functionality exists within Trados. I don't have DeepL, so I can only guess what is possible, based on similar scenarios. So, my guess would be that Trados sends only the entire segment to the machine translator, and does not have the option to send individual words or phrases (either on demand, semi-automatically or automatically). The feature you're referring to requires that the tool understands which pieces of target text are the translations of which pieces of source text (in order to be able to offer alternatives and then re-translate the text using the option you chose), and Trados is just a dumb program -- all it does (I suspect) is send the source text and then receive back the translation, and that's that.

Daniel Salinero
Maria da Glória Teixeira
Nikolay Nikolov

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DeepL integrated into Trados 2019

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »