Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:46
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Was there Sep 16, 2019

Milan Condak wrote:

If you are interesting in HAT, monitor a web https://unbabel.com/ or read the articles https://sites.google.com/unbabel.com/hat19/home .

Milan

Hi Milan,

Thanks for the link, it takes to a page describing the program for what took place at NMT Summit in Dublin. I actually attended that very workshop ...

The question there was to demonstrate efforts for a machine to correct a machine, that doesn't work so well. Translators are sorely needed to keep the output good and professional.
But still, efforts are made to have the most work possible done by the machine and less by the translator, hence the birth of the acronym HAT. Complicated...

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Intento Anyone ? Jul 24, 2020

Has anyone heard about Intento?

In my opinion, it’s the best MT platform out there. If someone is using it, it would be great to hear about user experience.
Basically their approach is: one payment, on API key and you get access to 31 MT providers (big names: Amazon, Alibaba, IBM, Google, Tencent and all those we know more like Tilde, DeepL, ModernMT, Google (they have 5 variants) etc.).
So you just pay a monthly fee (starts at 8.99 USD/month if I’m not mistaken) an
... See more
Has anyone heard about Intento?

In my opinion, it’s the best MT platform out there. If someone is using it, it would be great to hear about user experience.
Basically their approach is: one payment, on API key and you get access to 31 MT providers (big names: Amazon, Alibaba, IBM, Google, Tencent and all those we know more like Tilde, DeepL, ModernMT, Google (they have 5 variants) etc.).
So you just pay a monthly fee (starts at 8.99 USD/month if I’m not mistaken) and then you can switch between MT providers on the fly and you will just be charged the characters you translate from each provider. So, it’s base fee + mileage.

I think this approach is ideal, especially when you have more than one language pair and you translate a variety of domains (medical, legal, tourism etc.). This means that 1 MT will not perform equally depending on your translation job. The ability to switch is a must then and a time saver.
If I’m not wrong, Intento has a plugin in SDL 2019 (and 2017) and in MemoQ. I’ve tried the SDL one and it works well.

From the plugin (so from your CAT tool) you can switch from the 31 MT providers Intento has.
If you login their web console, you can test MT engines performance. Upload a file and compare results to know which MT will perform best for your project.
It is fast too: 2000 words/minute on lowest 2 tiers prices and 40000 words per minute (yes 40K) when getting business plan (375/month I think).

Well, I just like this approach.

What do you think?
Collapse

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Bold claims have landed! Sep 10, 2020

The time has come to examine bold claims. It all started with CATs (Computer Assisted Translation) and then came the rise of computers with MT. Then MT became good, so a new term was coined “HAT” (Human Assisted Translation). HAT is still elusive and really happens in dedicated workflows.
Most of translation work still relies heavily on human performance (via editing or pure only-human translation) but will it change? Is it the best way?

Enter the new claim: “MT outperfo
... See more
The time has come to examine bold claims. It all started with CATs (Computer Assisted Translation) and then came the rise of computers with MT. Then MT became good, so a new term was coined “HAT” (Human Assisted Translation). HAT is still elusive and really happens in dedicated workflows.
Most of translation work still relies heavily on human performance (via editing or pure only-human translation) but will it change? Is it the best way?

Enter the new claim: “MT outperforms human translation”. This claim is made about an engine called CUBBITT (Charles University Block-Backtranslation-Improved Transformer Translation). They claim in certain specific circumstances that human QA decided its output outperformed human translation in certain circumstances.

As more data becomes widely available, that would be interesting to put that to the test.
This reminded me of a video I published 3 years ago ("Neural Machine Translation" Is A.I. the future of translation? What is it?). So much has happened since then… But we’re still back to the same, putting machine against human. Often, in reality, real-world workflows involve a lot more than this reductive concept. It will be interesting to see how these technologies evolve in an ever-more connected and ever-more online world. Where and how will these be used? TBC…

Refs:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-020-18073-9
https://slator.com/machine-translation/yes-now-they-claim-machines-outperform-human-translation-in-adequacy/
Collapse

Oksana Weiss
Oksana Weiss  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:46
Member (2011)
German to English
+ ...
Big nothing Sep 10, 2020

In all these years of big claims and man vs machine virtual translation battles, all I can see is pushing down the rates for both "human translation" and MTPE from the part of the "big players" of the translation industry. The last indecent offer made to me was $15/hour for MTPE which translated into $0.02 per word from one of the big guys who should not be named, although their name begins and ends with T. It was time (and ground) to say good-bye and wish them all the luck which they will reall... See more
In all these years of big claims and man vs machine virtual translation battles, all I can see is pushing down the rates for both "human translation" and MTPE from the part of the "big players" of the translation industry. The last indecent offer made to me was $15/hour for MTPE which translated into $0.02 per word from one of the big guys who should not be named, although their name begins and ends with T. It was time (and ground) to say good-bye and wish them all the luck which they will really need.Collapse

Bernhard Sulzer

Janet Muehlbacher
Janet Muehlbacher  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:46
German to English
+ ...
Wow, Philippe Sep 10, 2020

you´re really doing a lot to help translators get more jobs and earn lots more money

Philippe Locquet

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Homework ? Sep 11, 2020

Janet Muehlbacher wrote:

you´re really doing a lot to help translators get more jobs and earn lots more money

Thank you for raising this! Quick facts:
_I’m the manager of an international program giving free licenses to students and Universities to help them train and get very discounted licenses after.
_I have financed the creation of a plugin enabling translators to use the same TM across different CAT tools. I have made the plugin available for free and it can be used connecting to Wordfast Server while it is in Demo mode (free for freelancers)
_I run a YouTube channel where I give out information and tutorials for free.
_I share knowledge on forums helping translators be informed about developments that can affect the landscape.
_And off-course I provide paid services that have helped a great many translators and interpreters be successful at what they do.
I haven’t taken the time to research what you do so I can’t comment on this, sorry.
Indeed I derive a lot of satisfaction from what I do.

Be well 😊

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Advertisement Sep 11, 2020

Right- so this whole discussion is an advertisement.

expressisverbis
Jorge Payan

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Machine Translation, how it’s reshaping the language industry

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »