What is a difference between equivalence and correspondence in terminology?
Thread poster: kjobkova
kjobkova
kjobkova
Slovakia
Jun 16, 2020

Hello,

I would like someone to explain the difference between equivalence and correspondence in terminology.

Thank you very much.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:40
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Klara Jun 16, 2020

klarajobkova wrote:
I would like someone to explain the difference between equivalence and correspondence in terminology.

Can you tell us where you heard these two terms? Is this from a specific book?

Aline Amorim

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Off the top of my head. Jun 16, 2020

Equivalence is when there’s an exact equivalent target term in the full sense, while corresponding term is not an exact equivalent, but the next best thing - an example would be when an exact concept doesn’t exist in the target country but something similar or resembling it does (ie. corresponding term).

Unless your question referred to something else.

[Edited at 2020-06-16 12:24 GMT]

kjobkova
Tina Vonhof (X)
Josephine Cassar
Aline Amorim

kjobkova
kjobkova
Slovakia
TOPIC STARTER
. Jun 16, 2020

No, it is not from a book. It is a question from my thesis' supervisor.

[Edited at 2020-06-16 12:54 GMT]

kjobkova
kjobkova
Slovakia
TOPIC STARTER
thank you very much :) Jun 16, 2020

Lingua 5B wrote:

Equivalence is when there’s an exact equivalent target term in the full sense, while corresponding term is not an exact equivalent, but the next best thing - an example would be when an exact concept doesn’t exist in the target country but something similar or resembling it does (ie. corresponding term).

Unless your question referred to something else.

[Edited at 2020-06-16 12:24 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Klara Jun 16, 2020

klarajobkova wrote:

These two terms are very often used in translation studies, linguistic studies and related fields, and they mean whatever each book's author wants them to mean. They do not always mean the same thing. An author will generally define the terms early in his book (or somewhere in this book), or alternatively it will become clear to an educated reader what the author is trying to mean. This makes such books very difficult for beginners, because you never know when the author is using the terms in a general sense, specialized sense, or special sense.

A paragraph in Teubert's "Text Corpora and Multilingual Lexicography" (2007), page 54, shows an example of this:

teubert quote

He's referencing Recker (a book) and Koptjevskaja-Tamm (a journal article), but I could not find them online, so I'll just trust what Teubert is saying here.

[Edited at 2020-06-16 19:37 GMT]

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 16:40
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Its all correspondence IMO Jun 17, 2020

Except for very basic expression there is no equivalence between languages, so the translator always must find a corresponding phrase in the target language. Otherwise back translation would deliver the original source text, which it hardly ever does.

Kaspars Melkis

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Heinrich Jun 17, 2020

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
Except for very basic expression, there is no equivalence between languages. Otherwise back translation would deliver the original source text, which it hardly ever does.

The reason why back-translation does not deliver the original text has to do with syntax, grammar, and social cues. The individual target words (or multiword defined terms) may well get back-translated into the original source words, and this applies in particular to "terminology".

Klara says that the source of these terms for her is her lecturer at college, so either he must tell her what he believes these terms mean, or he must tell which books to read in order to figure out what he wants her to believe these terms mean, or he must tell her which school of terminology he is trying to convince her to become a fan of.

Or, perhaps he wants her to come up with her own definitions, based solely on what these words normally mean. If it is the latter, then I would think that "equivalence" refers to when a target language term has the same meaning and the same applicability (e.g. register, social cues) as the source term according to the definition of the source term, whereas "correspondence" is imperfect equivalence, i.e. if a target term would have been equivalent to the source term except that it has a different register, or except that it means more than what the source term's definition means, or except that it does not cover the entire definition of the source term, or except that it can cover more than one source term.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is a difference between equivalence and correspondence in terminology?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »